_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Room for another Wingnut LVG?
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hi All,

I've got to say, if there was an award for the most built, most photographed airplane model for the past year I think the Wingnut LVG would be the winner!

Some of you may have seen these pics on other forums but I thought I'd share my latest pride and joy here too. This was only my second serious attempt at a WWI aircraft, the first being a 1/48 DML Fokker Dr.1. I don't usually build 1/32 kits anymore, and a year ago, I'd never even HEARD of an LVG. Then, when Wingnut exploded on the scene last year, and I took a look at their site to see what all the fuss was about, it was love at first sight.

This build spanned roughly 9 months, with only a 1 month break taken to do a quick project to avoid burnout.

A few additional details were added to what came in the box, those being the ignition wire assemblies on the engine, the pull ring for the radiator flaps,
a Tom's Modelworks photo-etch cooling jacket on the pilot's Spandau, and the brace wire on the observer's Parabellum. Rigging was done with a combination of Bob's Buckles, stainless hypodermic tubing for the turnbuckle bodies, and 2 lb fishing line painted with Humbrol Polished Steel. I learned about using the stainless tubing from one of the build threads right here on Aeroscale, by a gentleman named Mark Hamrick. Mark, if you are reading this, thank you so much for the excellent WIP thread you did on your LVG! I referred to it often and also pointed a number of people to it, especially the parts about using the hypo tubing.

Finally, the wood grain was done using artist's oils over Tamiya acrylics, pretty much as described by Wingnut in their instructions. I took it a little further than they show by using finer brushes to work the grain patterns.

Cheers,
Eric

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 09:54 AM UTC
Just sign on up!
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 11:25 AM UTC
Eric,
Attempt? No way man you nailed it.Outstanding build my friend.The LVG may only be your second WW I subject but looking at the photos leaves no doubt you're one heck of an excellent modeler.If you happen to have taken any in progress photo,please do post them.Again congratulations on such an outstanding build and I hope to see more of your projects posted here in the near future.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric,
Attempt? No way man you nailed it.Outstanding build my friend.The LVG may only be your second WW I subject but looking at the photos leaves no doubt you're one heck of an excellent modeler.If you happen to have taken any in progress photo,please do post them.Again congratulations on such an outstanding build and I hope to see more of your projects posted here in the near future.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Gregory,

Thank you so much for those kind words!

Yes, I took a a fair number of in-process photos. This project was quite an adventure for me so I documented the build more thoroughly than usual. I will be more than happy to post them. I guess the best thing to do will be to make a separate thread for them. I'll get started on it right away!

Cheers,
Eric

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
Very impressive build ! I love it !

There is always room for WNW
 _GOTOTOP