_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
1/32 UH-72A Lakota
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 04:40 PM UTC
Here’s another entry for the BuffCon show in April, I try to get one helicopter in each year. The kit is Revell’s EC-145 ADAC which was released like 5 years ago. I have to say you sure do get a ton of parts in such a small box. The plastic seems brittle as I had to fix several parts. The detail is great and looking at the real pics comparing to the parts they seem correct. I looked over the Lakota photos a few times taking notes and colors of which parts were used and what colors.

For this build I’m turning it into the Army's new multi-mission Light Utility Helicopter. Mine will be a medic bird belonging to the Company C, 2nd Battalion, 151st Aviation Regiment of the Alabama Army National Guard.

Fuselage parts

The rear door windows needed to be filled in. I used Evergreen plastic, super glue with accelerator.

Interior parts painted. The lighting (camera) is off making the colors looking dark.

The instrument and center panel were painted black, afterward I took a sharp hobby blade and scraped of the black exposing the buttons and knobs.

Next are the nickel and dime painting of the interior parts. I'm going to use Mr. Surfacer 1000 for the pilot’s seats to get the fabric look, and lastly the decals through out the interior panels. More to follow.

Happy Modeling,
Joe

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 09:23 PM UTC
Hi Joe

The instrument console looks fantastic!

All the best

Rowan
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 11:56 PM UTC
Looking great Joe. Another great helo in the making. I have the same kit with the same intentions. I'll be following closely as I know you will make a masterpiece from it.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
AeroScale: 1,072 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:47 PM UTC
I like what you are doing, looking forward to more.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 05:21 PM UTC
Thanks Guys,
I really didn’t get much today as the grand kids were here running around for a visit. I was able to make up two of the four medical equipment boxes and frame. I still need to tweak the frame for a finial fit. I did however get to the hobby shop for some paint, Helo Drab Green in acrylic. I’m hoping to get some exterior painting by the weekend.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi Buddy ,If you need any walkaround photos of this sweetheart,there are some really nice ones on The Scale Rotors website.These were taken during the Flat Iron competition to find a replacement for the Current crop of choppers.
Great minds do think alike as i found these when "Googling" for info on her to do one of my own !!.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 08:35 AM UTC
It’s really been a slow go at this, but I do hope to have most of this finished by weeks end.
Thanks Dan, I did find those pics and it's pretty much what I'm going by.

These are the rear facing crew seats, they have to be made up as there were none in the kit that matched the reference pics.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 09:24 AM UTC
Wow!! The interior is looking great. Keep the updates coming. Great job.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 10:12 AM UTC
Thanks Gino, I should be buttoning up the fuselage tonight. First I'll spray on the Helo Green on the fuselage side then installing in the glass. I'll post more later!

Joe
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 04:48 PM UTC
I finished the rear facing crew seats tonight. The seats and frame was made from evergreen plastic rod and painter’s masking tape. I just applied a coat of Model Masters Helo Green to the fuselage, while that dries I’ll load the cargo area with medical gear and such.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
AeroScale: 1,072 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 03:06 PM UTC
Joe

This is going very well you are really capturing the feel of the interior. I look forward to seeing more.
Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 04:53 AM UTC
It looks awsome so far Joe, can't wait to see it when you're finished.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 05:35 PM UTC
Small update,
I made up a set if the wire strike skid tips, looking at the upper one in photo shows it’s to be thick. Also made up parts for the rescue hoist. For the decals I looked for a high resolution NG symbol and red cross and made up the rest using a paint program. The U.S. Army and tail numbers will come from dry transfers found at a craft store.

It’s now finished and will post photos soon.

Happy Modeling,
Joe

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 06:07 PM UTC
Here she is all finished up. I added in a few pieces of gear, scratched made the stretcher, water cooler and fire-jel blanket container. For the rescue bag I cut a small duffle bag in half, painted a supply bag in digital camo and the back board came with the kit. It’s painted in Model Master Helo Drab.

I also scratched the wire cutters and bracket rods with Evergreen sheet and rod. Made up a few antennas and had to change the tail rotor around. I also cut off the molded on navigation lights on fins and replaced with clear one from a old Prowler kit that matched pretty well and used clear sprue for the two navigation lights on tail rotor housing. On the real aircraft the light to be the LED type so that’s why their clear.

As for the rest it was pretty straight forward. I found it easier to paint most of the parts before installing the glass parts.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 404 posts
AeroScale: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 04:10 PM UTC
Ah, Joe, you are inspiring! That is such a clean build, I don't know how you do it. I always end up with dust and shavings and crap everywhere.

How did you do that magnificent intake cover? It looks like it's just draped over. Really good representation of heavy cloth.

Grubby.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How did you do that magnificent intake cover? It looks like it's just draped over.

Thanks G"
The cover was made from tin-foil, cut, fitted, painted and glued in place. The hardest part was painting it while it was fourmed.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
 _GOTOTOP