_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Finishing the Jenny & starting Backyard Flyer
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hi Robby! thanks for your ideas.Nothing is written in stone yet.
I have no deadlines to meet and that is the way I like it.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 09:48 PM UTC
I have been giving this whole tarp thing some thought and tried to think how I would go about trying to protect my airplane from the elements.
The first thing to do would be to secure down the aircraft at at least 4 different points.Nose wheel,tail and wingtips ,as well as support those long fragile wings.
The wings could sit on saw horses with large tarp envelops covering them,same thing for the tail and nose assemblies.In this way they would be isolated from the damp ground and the grass would still get enough light to continue growing under them.It is only under the engine area that I could leave things a little muddy.Luckily the airplane is standing on sloping ,well drained terrain.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 10:23 PM UTC
I have decided to put the cart in the background,out of the way.
Whenever I look at the airplane sitting there it seems to have a surprising amount of movement built into it already.I don't want to spoil the illusion by tying it to the ground in any physical way.I want to just suggest that it has been sitting there for awhile by the subtle use of tie downs and ropes.Saw horses and other supports can be shown inconspicuously off to the side.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 10:34 PM UTC
Somehow this thread got way beyond its due date.Please see "Finishing up the Backyard Flyer "for further info on this build.
Sorry bout that !
 _GOTOTOP