_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
Your Site Needs You!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hi there

Sorry, a dreadfully corny title, but I couldn't resist it! LOL!

Do you have what it takes to be an AeroStaffer? There are oportunities for new members of our team to help build on the success of one of the fastest growing aircraft modelling communities on the Internet.

We're particularly looking for anyone interested in helping in two main areas:

Cold-War / Modern Aircraft - both as moderator in the Forum and principal reviewer, and

Talent Scout - basically, someone tasked with sourcing new articles and pictures for a steady flow of Features.

Skills needed: Previous web skills would be good but aren't essential, likewise some knowledge of photo-editing. The essential thing is willingness to learn and follow guidelines as required. Tact and a good sense of judgement and ethics are essential in moderating the forum and choosing what to publish.

Incentives: Please be aware - these are volunteer roles and they can be demanding at times. By way of some compensation, AeroStaffers do have first call on reviewing product samples (and the responsibility that goes with them).

Have I managed to put you off yet!? If not, PM me or Jean-Luc.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 12:17 PM UTC
What he said...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi again

I'm delighted to announce that Tim Hatton (litespeed) and Justin McCracken (Keeperofsouls2099) will be helping as hosts for the Cold War and Modern forums respectively.

Tim is also taking the plunge as our latest AeroStaffer, so "Break a leg! Tim!" - I know you'll do just great!

All the best

Rowan
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 09:42 AM UTC
Welcome aboard guys, its nice to see some new faces around (err says the guy who hasen't been around for nearly 5 months ).
Any questions feel free to ask.
Andy
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 03:53 PM UTC
Hi all
It's a pleasure to be aboard
tim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 10:47 AM UTC
Tim you have been doing a great job. I just wanted to say so publicly.

Also I have been seeing some serious growth for AeroScale over the past year. Believe it or not we are up 100% over last years traffic. And I am sure some regulars are noting that AeroScale is often 20% of the networks users. Armorama is down to only 40-50% regularly now. Pretty soon they might be tied... that's no small accomplishment for the staff here.

Cheers,
Jim
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 04:18 PM UTC
So far things are going good I think.I'm trying to pull more interest into the modern forums by build logs and campaigns.I was wandering how I go about getting review items?As I would like to help more and lighten the load a little for Tim WOW is he busy.Thanks Justin
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 09:47 AM UTC
Cheers Justin

It's great to see modern stuff getting a real boost - you and Tim are doing a brilliant job!

As regards samples, keeep an eye on the Contributors' forum - we have a steady stream of items coming in.

Quoted Text

... I am sure some regulars are noting that AeroScale is often 20% of the networks users...

Hi Jim

What's really exciting to se is that we are regularly at 21% or 22% lately, so a 25% average share is definitely in our sights...

All the best

Rowan
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers Justin

It's great to see modern stuff getting a real boost - you and Tim are doing a brilliant job!

As regards samples, keeep an eye on the Contributors' forum - we have a steady stream of items coming in.

Quoted Text

... I am sure some regulars are noting that AeroScale is often 20% of the networks users...

Hi Jim

What's really exciting to se is that we are regularly at 21% or 22% lately, so a 25% average share is definitely in our sights...

All the best

Rowan

Gaining market share is fine, certainly when also the absolute figures of the whole kitmaker family are going up.

It is definititely the result of hard work

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 09:20 AM UTC
The boys are doing all right. Justin has almost talked me into 2 campaigns (F-14 & F-16) and I'm trying to drive Tim crazy looking for P-40 decals.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 03:50 PM UTC
Thats just the tip md i have alot more planned stay tuned and thanks for the kudos
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 04:39 PM UTC
You guys let me know if anything needs doing. I get more time to be at the keyboard than the work Bench. I'm in a constant state of lurking here.

Would be happy to pitch in!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 12:07 PM UTC
Cheers Richard

I'll drop you a line.

All the best

Rowan
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 05:16 AM UTC
I' ve been interested in submitting some kit reviews. I know there is a format to follow but haven't found the appropriate FAQ. Any guidance appreciated

Cheers,
Fred
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 05:26 AM UTC
There's no formal format as such. The best thing for you to do is to read a bunch of reviews and then write something similar. I have a blank review template in my style that I offer to new reviewers. If you'd like a copy, just PM me your e-mail address.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 06:43 AM UTC
Nice one Fred!

As Jessie say, the best thing to do is to read a selection of reviews by different authors, but don't feel bound to follow any particular format. I deliberately encourage everyone to find their own style.

If you have a look at the review submission form, you'll see it breaks down into these two basic sections:

Introduction (the teaser that appears on the reviews home page)
Review Text

plus

Highs
Lows
Verdict

Finally, there's a % score where appropriate.

All the best

Rowan
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 12:23 PM UTC
Excellent. I have been reading all the reviews for the past few years so I have at least a sense of the format. Details like background colors and sprue posing as well as review structure make sense to me too.

Question: I amassed a good couple of hundred kits over the past decade. Many are pretty mainstream, however, some are vintage and other are downright esoteric.

Does anyone have an opinion on what types of kits would be more popular to be reviewed?

Cheers,
Fred
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 12:52 PM UTC
Any and all which catch your fancy. Mainstream kits because that's what's popular and esoteric kits because it's neat to see what's available and you never know what you're going to find at the next swap meet. Our reviews database is voracious and capacious. I doubt that you'll be able to fill it up.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi again

Just over one year on from the last post in this thread, it's time to repeat the call for any of you who'd like to join the team that keeps Aeroscale going.

We've got some particular areas in the Forum that need developing:

Our coverage of Cold War and Modern subject has always cried out for real enthusiasts for those eras to take the helm.

Similarly, following the sad departure of Stephen earlier this year, the WW1 / Golden Age forum definitely needs a new hand on the tiller to make sure the result of all his hard work doesn't slowly ebb away. I haven't asked until now out of respect for Stephen and all he did for Aeroscale, but I think it's important that we continue to build the section he devoted so much energy to.

Beyond that, we also urgently need help behind the scenes coping with the ever increasing amount of incoming material - News, Reviews and Features.

It doesn't take any great existing "web skills" to become an Editor - in my own case, I went in totally cold and learned on the job. And, if I can do it, almost anyone can! Just to add extra assurance, Staff_Jim has offered to mentor new applicants when he gets back from holiday - and you can't get better training than he can provide!

I would also encourage anyone for whom English isn't their first language not to be put off from applying. Some of our very best Editors over the years have learned English as a second (or third!) language and, to be brutally honest, their use of English has put many of us to shame...

So, do you have the enthusiasm and commitment to join to join the team that's built one of the prime aircraft modelling sites? It can be hard work at times - but there are equally benefits that I think more than compensate.

If so, just drop me, or any of the team a line, and we'll take it from there.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP