_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
Loss of edit function?
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi!

Until recently it has been possible to edit even very old posts (several years old), since last week or so the edit function disappears within hours after posting time.

I once used the edit function to fix all my old build blogs when my ISP changed all server addresses. It was quite a bit of work (and yes, I know there is a big Rainman-warning on doing it) but it was made possible by an "eternal" edit function. If this had happened today, the problem would have been unfixable and all my old build blogs had been dead. Or at least quite uninteresting without any photos...

Another thing that I use (or rather intended to use) the edit function for was this, "the collection". I intended to add every model I build to the first post in this thread, just to keep them in one place and have a starting point to get to the blogs. This is now impossible. Finally, I think that Jean-Luc, Rowan and possibly even Jim will have the same problem as I (or they might have better editing possibilities than I since they are staff?).

Finally, I use edit to fix a spelling mistake every now and then. Not that it makes me a Shakespeare but it slowly improves the literary values of my blogs !

Any comments on the above? Does anyone know why it has been altered? Was it misused in any way? I really want it back, what do you think?

Magnus
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hi Magnus

this is a bit longer than you think, but I also am not quite happy about it. Esp. as you (we) merely have an hour to check everything. I often find typos or my home grown "teh" mistake the next day or when I post again in a thread ...

I think this is a performance thingie and Jim decided to go this way (he did this for the first time some years ago, but re-established the edit function) --- I guess this time it is gone .. just check J-Ls sample shop .. you see when he was surprized with the new bu... err feature.

guess we have to live with it and enjoy the fact that many natural speakers are not much better than we are ...

cheers

Steffen
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 08:54 AM UTC
I have it on my list to make some changes to the way the edit is working now. Most likely "blog" type posts and posts in certain forums (Buy, Sell, Trade) will get the ability to edit the initial post or all originating user posts.

This issue is not unique to this site of course as most sites don't even offer the initial editing ability. Also the window use to be longer (24hrs?) and that is something I may increase as well. As I said this stuff is on my to-do list but so are a lot of things.

Thanks,
Jim
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 09:36 AM UTC
I'm happy with that answer! In the meantime I suppose I'll have to be a bti mroe craeflu wiht teh spelign!

Magnus
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 01:43 PM UTC
I pushed this up a bit.

You should be able to edit any topic that is actually (and designated) as a blog. Please don't abuse this and make non-blog topics into blogs.

In some designated forums the topic creator will always be able to update their posts. Buy, Sell, Trade, Pre-flight Check

Also the expire time for some forums has been increased (buy, sell, trade, etc).

I will be adding a bit to allow all staff to modify their posts as well.

Thanks,
Jim
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 06:28 PM UTC
Lovely Jim! Much appreciated!

The only problem now is that I never thought of "the collection" as a blog so that one is still uneditable... Is if possible for some kind soul with almighty powers to designate this as a blog even if it has already been started? Pleeeeasaeeeee?

Magnus
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 03:41 AM UTC
Done.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 09:22 PM UTC
Jim: I now have an edit button next to everyone's posts in a blog, but if I click on one that isn't mine it takes me to a 'create new topic' page. Editting my posts works perfectly- great for re-linking images that have moved, etc.- Thanks.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 06:01 PM UTC
This issue seems to have come back during the summer, no edit available anymore. I haven't found any information about when or why, have you heard anything about it?

Regards Magnus
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 06:34 PM UTC
Hi Magnus

good you bring this up again. I already asked this in one of my blogs, because for these it is really bad that the edit function is gone after an hour.

all the best

Steffen
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 06:46 PM UTC
Steffen! Do you know when the edit-function made its second disappearance? After our initial conversation in this thread it came back into the build blogs. Then I was absent from here over most of the summer and when I came back here this autumn it was gone again.

Is the function available for subscribers by the way? Editing: Obviously not since Damian is a subscriber (see post below) and he can't edit either !

Magnus
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 06:50 PM UTC
I have been discussing this with Fred (JPTRR) because I would like the ability to edit my posts in my Campaign threads (just the roll call/build status posts). Fred is on to Jim about it.

Cheers, D
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hi all

Steffen raised this question a week or so ago and this was Staff_Jim's response when I asked him on Nov 26th:

" Some forums have a time limit. Some do not. Some limits are not imposed for the topic creator on certain posts or forums as well.

No changes have been made to that stuff for many months.

Jim
"

I'll let him know that other people have noticed a recent change.

All the best

Rowan
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hi Rowan!

One thing is sure and that is that I could at least edit my build blogs early this summer while now I can't edit anything for more than an hour.

Something happened sometime after June this year!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 03:05 AM UTC
Do we have any more information regarding this issue? I can offer a time line for what has happened:

*End of March 2010: as far as I noticed full editing capabilities in all categories of threads.

*Beginning of May 2010: editing capabilities lapse after 24 hours in all thread categories. This is a spin-off from performance adjustments to the site system according to Jim.

*Beginning of May 2010: unlimited editing capabilities are back on at least build blogs, you can follow the discussion above in this thread.

*Autumn 2010: editing capabilities lapse after about one hour in all thread categories.

So sometime during the summer or autumn the editing possibilities were altered again!

I would really like to get them back at least to the build blogs!

Magnus
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 05:12 AM UTC
Seems we have to bump this regularly so that we get at least an answer, because "Nothing changed" cannot be true as apparently something did change. I experience the same problem and likewise I would like to have it back for the BLogs.

all the best

Steffen
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seems we have to bump this regularly so that we get at least an answer, because "Nothing changed" cannot be true as apparently something did change. I experience the same problem and likewise I would like to have it back for the BLogs.

all the best

Steffen

and if staff_jim is watching this, the "feature" in the aeroscale forum preventing me to use the back button on the forum latest pages is driving me nuts
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 10:50 AM UTC
Hi all

Fear not, I've re-posted in Staff that you have concerns. Please remember, Aeroscale's site-specific forum isn't the first place Staff_Jim will check for Network-wide items like this that are best raised in User Support.

All the best

Rowan
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

Fear not, I've re-posted in Staff that you have concerns. Please remember, Aeroscale's site-specific forum isn't the first place Staff_Jim will check for Network-wide items like this that are best raised in User Support.

All the best

Rowan

I didn't even know there was a support forum !

Now I've found it though and there were those threads, this one and this one dealing with the subject. So obviously the build blog editing ability that was re-introduced in May was quite quickly re-drawn again.

I checked my account on Britmodeller where I have been posting sporadically and I still can edit posts more than two years old. I really value editing very high so if it is not for strictly technical reasons I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to have unlimited edit on Armorama!

Magnus
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

All the best

Rowan

the forum issue is not network wide, its only aeroscale suffering from this.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 09:36 PM UTC
I think I resolved some of the loss of edit issues just now. If not let me know and I will subscribe to this topic.

Thanks,
Jim
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 09:49 PM UTC
Works like a charm now, I've got a nice little "edit"-button in build blogs and buy-sell-swap posts! Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Magnus
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 12:06 AM UTC
Thanks Jim, I can go back now and update the "Roll Call" posts at the start of my Campaign threads now.

Hold on, that means I need to go through the threads now and note any changes and status updates and new enlisted members and and and . . .

TURN IT OFF JIM, TURN IT OFF !!

Thanks, D
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the forum issue is not network wide, its only Aeroscale suffering from this.

even though quite often issues are specific to certain forums it would still be best to post the issue in the User Support or network talk area as Jim would check there first. However in saying that I notice that more often than not Armorama members always seem to post issues in their Site talk area rather than the "Network Wide" areas

Quoted Text

Thanks Jim, I can go back now and update the "Roll Call" posts at the start of my Campaign threads now.

Hold on, that means I need to go through the threads now and note any changes and status updates and new enlisted members and and and . . .

TURN IT OFF JIM, TURN IT OFF !!

Thanks, D

Lol D. Don't worry as part off my new role as campaign Administrator I have a few ideas in the pipeline to run by the membership to try and make campaigns run a little smoother. Watch this space......
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 04:05 AM UTC
Thanks Jim and Rowan!

I am really happy the edit function is back!

merry X-mas

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP