_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
1/35 UH-1N IAF
janwillem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
Well having caught the aircraft bug I have started on a new project, DML's 1/35 UH-1N, I am going to turn it in to a IAF bird by using a Sky's Decals set.

I have to say that the kit is a bit disappointing. The kit has a bit of a toy-ish look to it. The kit is also covered in rivets but on some parts they haven't moulded. I also lost a few during sanding, so I have to figure out how to reproduce them, any tips????

As for any other inaccuracies, those I'll life with.

Here are a few shots of the interior before I sealed up the fuselage half's.

The seatbelts and instrument panels are the PE items that are supplied in the kit

Well here's hoping that I'll stay with this one for the time being till its finished

Cheers,

Jan-Willem
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
Looks like a good start. To replace lost rivel detail, Archer has surface detail decal sets. They have various sized rivet sets that would work great. By IAF, I am assuming you mean Israeli Air Force? IAF could mean many things though; Iraqi AF, Indian AF, Indonesian AF, etc., etc...
Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 11:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like a good start. To replace lost rivel detail, Archer has surface detail decal sets. They have various sized rivet sets that would work great. By IAF, I am assuming you mean Israeli Air Force? IAF could mean many things though; Iraqi AF, Indian AF, Indonesian AF, etc., etc...

Technically, I think that IAF only applies to the Indian Air Force, though I agree that its probably the Israeli Defense Forces Air Force (IDFAF) in this case.

I've seen the Iraqi Air Force abbreviated IrAF, perhaps in homage to the Royal Iraqi Air Force (RIrAF), but it is apparently also known by an acronym transliterated from the Arabic, IQAF. The Indonesian Air Force is generally referred to by the Indonesian acronym TNI-AU. The Shah era Iranian Air Force was abbreviated IIRAF for Imperial Iranian Air Force, while the current one is IRIAF for the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force. The Irish air branch is only designated as a corps (IAC), so there is no issue there.

EDIT- After going to the official Israeli website, apparently they dropped referred to everything as a branch of the IDF at some point. So IAF would be the English abbreviation for the Israeli Air Force, as well as the Indian Air Force. Regardless, the model is looking great already.
janwillem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 05:44 PM UTC
Thanks guys,

I had been looking at the Archer surface detail decal sets but they are a bit to expensive for my taste, so I am trying to figure out how I can do it my self.

Cheers,

JW
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 06:22 PM UTC
Stretched sprue or styrene rod, like for bolts, or perhaps pin drops of CA or white glue? Hard to control the size but I saw it done once.
janwillem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 10:53 PM UTC
Thanks. I'll give those a try.

Cheers,

JW
 _GOTOTOP