Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Dackelbauch Question ??
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi Gang,i recently treated myself to Dragon`s BF 110 Dachelbauch in 1/32nd scale (mainly bought it to steal the drop tank supports to use on my BF 110G !) but having gone through the box several times i find myself loathe to put that damned tank under it !!.
Do any any of my learned colleagues know if they were bombed up for an anti-shipping role ?,as a beautiful bomb rack is included.
Any help/photos or info will be gratefully appreciated.
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 05:40 AM UTC
I don't think so. I'll say upfront that the 110 isn't my main interest but all the photos I've seen post 1940 of Dackelbauch equipped Bf110s are on night fighters. After 1941 the system seems to have disappeared altogether. Maybe a 110 expert knows different.
Cheers
Steve
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hi Danny,

I found:
Quoted Text

Bf 110 D-2
Long-range Zerstörer, two wing-mounted 300 L (80 US gal) drop tanks and centerline mounted 500 kg (1,100 lb) ETC 500 bomb rack.
Bf 110 D-3
Long-range Zerstörer, lengthened tail for rescue dingy. Either two wing-mounted 300 L (80 US gal) or 900 L (240 US gal) drop tanks could be fitted. 500 kg (1,100 lb) ETC 500 was optional.

stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 04:09 AM UTC
Sorry danny,I may have misunderstood the question! The ventral ETC rack was not compatible with the "dackelbauch" fuel tank as you can see from the attached piccies.

from Messeschmitt Bf110 Ron Mackay, one of those Crowood books I think.

I always think it ruined the look of a good aircraft!

from Luftwaffe in Focus,don't remember which number.

Cheers
Steve
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 08:05 AM UTC
got to agree with that statement - that`s probably the ugliest thing i`ve ever seen hung on an aircraft !.
IIRC the thing was unpopular with crews as it had a nasty tendency to explode because of vapour build-up !!.
Thanks for the feedback guys,damn the rivett counters,i`ve fallen in love with the idea of monotone scheme provided in the box WITH the bomb rack - knowing how things were chopped and changed in the field it probably did happen somewhere.
JohnVasco
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

got to agree with that statement - that`s probably the ugliest thing i`ve ever seen hung on an aircraft !.
IIRC the thing was unpopular with crews as it had a nasty tendency to explode because of vapour build-up !!.
Thanks for the feedback guys,damn the rivett counters,i`ve fallen in love with the idea of monotone scheme provided in the box WITH the bomb rack - knowing how things were chopped and changed in the field it probably did happen somewhere.

Bf 110 D-0/Bs were used by Erprobungsgruppe 210 during the Battle of Britain. Many had the solid upper surface camouflage when they were first used in July 1940. For your kit, you would need the extended rear fuselage and the cable which ran the length of the top of the port side fuselage to be accurate. Also, no wing bomb racks were fitted, and the underwing crosses were immediately adjacent to the underwing radiators.
 _GOTOTOP