Focke Wulf Fw 190D-9 - 1/48 eduard
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi gang

Actually there is not much to add to Jean-Luc's and Rowan's dual build, so just have a look there (Features section) for some different approaches to this kit. I normally try to find my own way using some of the ideas and solutions I find online.

So here we go. I started this a few weeks ago as a side project and did a few bits here and there. When I was home I had some time and a free mind to proceed with this and the Zero. I began with the wing parts but to stick to usual procedures I show the cockpitpit first. I'll use mostly the plastic parts, except for the dash boards and seat belts. There is not much PE benefit for the side consoles so I used the IM stuff this time:

I used Rowans example to "improve" the wing center section. I also dry (and wet) fit a lot cut loose and glued again until I was satisfied with the wing spar fit and sit. It is crucial to get this right so take your time!!! Then I build up the wheel bays and wing as per instruction. Do not worry about the guns, they will be replaced with steel tubes.

Then I glued in the fire wall and some stuff. The fit is much better the in the A series due to the alignment helps. Also check the Eduard June Newsletter pg.24 if you have problems in thís area.

BTW I will use the prop blades and the metal tank from the Dragon kit.
.... more to come when the temperatures get a bit lower in my area

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 06:26 AM UTC
Forgot to add a picture of the engine plug (wip) ...

all the best

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 11:08 AM UTC
Nice start on the kit!
Have you been thinking about which markings choice to go for?

Looks like a really nice kit (well, what'd you expect after the A-series?). I've been quite tempted to go and buy one myself too.

Keep up the good work.
Panzercarlos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lara, Venezuela
KitMaker: 48 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 03:41 PM UTC
Hi.

Very well working.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 07:14 PM UTC
Thanks Eetu and Carlos!

I will do a replacement build for my old Tamiya kit and give it Hans Dortenmanns markings... (oob)

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 09:00 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Nice start. It's quite like old times to see that mod to the underside of the Dora in its raw state again! It'll be interesting to see the Dragon parts fitted - Eduard's tank and rack are rather weak (apart from the actual type of tank itself), lacking any sway-braces.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP