_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Questions About Storing Decals
hogkeeper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 04:39 PM UTC
Hey ya'll!! A question if I may. My primary building space is in the garage. All attempts at negotiating a nicer space with management have failed! Since I live in sunny South Carolina where it is very hot and humid in the summer and can easily get below freezing in the winter I have become concerned about my unused decals. Should I be storing these inside where the temperature and humidity are more constant?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 04:48 PM UTC
My suggestion Andy is to keep your decals in a zip-lock baggie inside the house. Better yet here’s what I do, go to a few department stores and ask for some of those little packets you find in shoes and cloths pockets. Then put one into a baggie with your decal and store in a closet. Works out well and the packets can be gotten for free.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 06:03 PM UTC
Andy, this is a very good question. Although I'm a beginner static modeler, I've collected AM decals forever.

The most important evils to avoid when storing decals are moisture, heat, and wildlife (insects and children). Cold isn't so bad as long as it's not humid freezing.

My decals are stored in acid free 8-1/2 x 11 photo envelopes, and then stored in a binder. I've made seperate photo copies of them all, incase I wish to view one. I never bring them out of their protective envelope. Then they are stored in a dark, dry, cool place. My basement.

I live in a cold, dry climate, though. If your in humid southern states, I would buy a frost free bar fridge for your garage. Store them in there, and maintain relations with the commander.

So on we go. Guy

hogkeeper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 12:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies Joe and Guy! I didn't think about the little packets to absorb moisture. The decals are coming inside.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 07:13 AM UTC
I've got storage mixed up a bit. Most of my A/M decals are in baggies with the moisture absorbers. I've liberated more than a few out of pill bottles (asprin & the like). Sadly most of the kit decals aren't as well protected......
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 09:37 AM UTC
I think the most important thing is to keep the decals inside where it is climate controlled and "livable". I keep my decals in a binder which works somewhat, until I mess everything up looking for something I need. Trouble is you don't know which decals are great to really protect and which aren't so great! Russell
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 10:10 AM UTC
I think keeping decals in a baggie with those packets are safer than in a binder. I'd be worried over time the decals would stick especially if the books are under pressure...again that's my own thoughts.

I keep my decals in a decal only box stored upright in a comfortable temperature closet.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 11:03 AM UTC
I keep mine in a big 'really useful box' with a load of the silica gel sachets in, in the house, so nice comfy temperature, works for me!!

Andy
 _GOTOTOP