_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Mixing paint types
Gendrok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nicaragua
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
I have a question about mixing paint types. Unfortunately I live in a country where modeling isn't really followed much, and I have to result to bringing things in from other countries. Recently someone was nice enough to bring me in a Revell D.H. Sea Venom FAW. 22 along with some key colors. Things is though that it looks I may need more of certain colors and I don't even have some other important ones. The paint I have is enamel, while here all you'll find is oil colors(which I know is out of the question), and acrylic paint. Is it feasible to use acrylic and enamel paint in a model?
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 10:54 AM UTC
I use both enamels and acrylics, on the same model all the time with out problems. the important thing to remember is that you have to make sure they are dry and cured before putting on another coat or color of a different type of paint.

NO you CAN NOT mix enamels and acrylics together to make a different color.

BUT yes you can mix a little of the tube oil with the enamels to change an enamels color. Just remember that the tube oil paints will increase the enamels drying time a little---- great when dry brushing, and that the tube oil paints are normally more intense in strength, so a little will go a long way on changing an enamels color.
Gendrok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nicaragua
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 10:59 AM UTC
A fountain of knowledge, thank you sir. I'll be using a fairly easy color scheme, so I won't have to worry much about getting my enamel mixed in with acrylic, good to know all the other details as well. Again thank you.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 11:00 AM UTC
You are welcomed, and show us some photos of your model.
 _GOTOTOP