_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Some help please
Ovidiu_Cupse
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cluj, Romania
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
First Hello everybody, I'm new here

Second: I need some help. I'm not an aircraft guy. I'm an armor guy, but I want to build a Vietnam diorama and I really want a helicopter. OK. It's hard to decided between an Academy CH-46 or an Italeri Chinook 1/48 scale. Now it's your turn. PLEASE give me some advices and informations, what kit I choose, what aftermarket stuff, etc. I like something with many details (interiors, engine, etc). Every advice/comment will be welcomed, Thank You very much and please excuse my poor english.

All the best,

Ovidiu
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 01:09 PM UTC
First off, welcome to Aeroscale! I find myself alternating between both armor and air almost with each model I build. I guess it depends on what's going on in the diorama. If it will be a battle scene, I'd say scratch the CH46 and the Chinook and get yourself a hard-charging Huey. They were the ones dropping the soldiers and marines directly into the battle, whereas the other two were for heavier lifting, i.e. artillery, jeeps, armor, and large numbers of troops to different bases and posts. So what kind of scene are you trying to depict? The battle, or preparation for the battle?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...get yourself a hard-charging Huey. They were the ones dropping the soldiers and marines directly into the battle...

Not totally true. The USMC didn't use Hueys until late in the war and they were UH-1Ms, which were navalized, short-doored UH-1Cs. The main medium lift helicopters for the USMC were originally the UH-34, which was replaced by the CH-46.

The real quetion is what type of dio are you looking to build? Its hard to give you ideas on the model(s) without more of an idea of what you are wanting to build.
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The real quetion is what type of dio are you looking to build? Its hard to give you ideas on the model(s) without more of an idea of what you are wanting to build.

Yeah, that. I kind of had the right answer, but thanks for the correction Gino!
 _GOTOTOP