Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 JU88G kits
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 02:48 AM UTC
Is the Hasegawa 1/72 JU88G worth twice as much as the Zvedza kit of the same subject? I know the Hasegawa JU88 is a great looking kit but the reviews i've found say the Zvedza kit is pretty decent too. Has anyone built the Zvedza kit or had a chance to compare the 2 kits?

thanks
Mike
heraldcoupe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 02:06 AM UTC
I've not built my Zvezda kit yet, so I can't comment on how it goes together, but there area couple of concerns worth pointing out.

Firstly, the vertical tail surfaces are substantially undersized. There is a Quickboost correction for this (which I have), but the Italeri Ju-188 tail looks more convincing, and I have a spare which will be used for my build.

The cockpit also suffers from having a solid floor, rather than the correct cut away on the right hand side. I believe this may also be the case with the Hasegawa kit, so not necessarily a negative in comparison terms.

Overall I like the Zvezda kit. A friend reported no major issues with Zvezda's Ju-88A variant, which shares most of this kit's sprues, so I am hopeful that this will go together well,

Cheers,
Bill.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 04:33 AM UTC
I didn't know there was a replacement tail unit for the Zvedza kit! Now I know that and after seeing the Zvedza kit on the sprues I know there is no 'hacking' to do, just a straight forward swap, the Zvedza kit seems the way to go. Even buying the tail unit, I'll save around £20!
I had read that the tail was the problem but otherwise the kit wasn't bad. It seems that the Hasegawa kit would have to be amazing and spot on to be worth the extra!

thanks
Mike
 _GOTOTOP