_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Germany
Aircraft of Germany in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Any aftermarket out there for CA's Do-17?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hi!

After a while of fruitless googling, I thought I'd ask here if someone knew better if there's any aftermarket parts available for Classic Airframes' Dornier 17 kits?

What I'm aware is the vac-form canopies by Falcon (though originally meant for the Hobbycraft kit), a resin tailplane correction set by DMold (Btw, now why there's no control surfaces update set?), and canopy masks by Montex. But that's about it.

Sure, there's still a bunch of stuff available to spruce up the kit like machine guns, engines and seatbelt sets, but nothing else, which seems strange considering the amount of details omitted in the kit. (despite original MSRP of over 70 bucks, there's no sign of PE, throttle quadrant, pitot tube, "towel rack" antenna, etc, and the list goes on...)

But from that googling spree I remember stumbling upon some forum thread where someone was talking about having the hobbycraft kit plus a load of aftermarket goodies but ending up selling the whole smash before getting started. Now if there is (or was) something made for the Hobbycraft kit, I presume it could probably be useful with the CA offering as well?

Any ideas?

Edit: Typical, just after hitting "submit" I find something. So it was Airwaves that made the PE set. Looks like a must-have, even if only for the intrument panel, rudder pedals, clock and gunsights (I already got Eduard seatbelts in my stash).
That post being from 2006, nowadays there's also Bramo 323 engines and MG 15 machine guns from Vektor.
Though the engines provided in the kit look OK, the MGs could use replacing, being both a bit clunky and the selection being a weird mix of MG 15s and MG 131s (Finnish-operated machines seemed to have mostly just MG 15s).
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hi Eetu

sorry, cannot help, but will watch if someone can ..

I would have liked the DMold Tail replacement, just for a brake up of the plain surface, but it is oop and as CA is "on vacation" and probably still holds the rights on the tool (bet it is in Prague) I do not see a reissue of either the kit or the conversion in the near future. (FYI http://dmold.ucoz.com/load/2)

I got the Finnish boxing when it was on sale at Sqn (cost me almost more p&p than the kit) Meanwhile I got some Techmod Decals which also have a huge leaf of vinyl canopy masks but thats about it I know off. As you say, Vector (and others) may have some generic stuff...

all the best

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

sorry, cannot help, but will watch if someone can ..

Yes, let's.

Quoted Text

I would have liked the DMold Tail replacement, just for a brake up of the plain surface, but it is oop and as CA is "on vacation" and probably still holds the rights on the tool (bet it is in Prague) I do not see a reissue of either the kit or the conversion in the near future. (FYI http://dmold.ucoz.com/load/2)

Thanks for the link. That's indeed a bummer. When I get around building it, I guess I'll have to do something with those smooth control surfaces anyhow.

Quoted Text

I got the Finnish boxing when it was on sale at Sqn (cost me almost more p&p than the kit) Meanwhile I got some Techmod Decals which also have a huge leaf of vinyl canopy masks but thats about it I know off. As you say, Vector (and others) may have some generic stuff...

Indeed, I forgot about those Techmod offerings. They seem to have several Finnish marking options on one of their 1:72 Dornier sheets, but not in 1:48. I guess they reasoned the CA kit had enough? Those numerous stencils and canopy masks are tempting, but I think I'll have to pass those, unless I come across them with a sufficiently wallet-friendly price tag to justice the purchase. But then again, I'm not sure if those Finnish Dorniers even retained (or more likely got repainted with) the German stencils.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 08:58 AM UTC
Bump

not sure if the set included separate control surfaces... focus was the trim function (the whole tail "wing" could be lowered)

all the best

Steffen
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 09:41 AM UTC
Superscale had a couple of decal sheets- I have one with a Greek campaign, a whitewashed Russian front bird and one other standard camo scheme.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hi all

I think one problem could be that, with the semi-demise/hiatus of CA, there just aren't enough of these kits out there to warrant aftermarket companies ploughing the time and money into producing upgrade sets...

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP