_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Il-2 Sturmovik Cockpit Interior
eoinryan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 04:20 AM UTC

Hi folks,

I'm just about to sit down and build a 1/48 scale Il-2 Sturmovik. However, I cannot seem to work out what colour the cockpit interior is...

Italeri have referenced it as 'Grau (Semi-Gloss) ITA MMii- 2071. In some photos the cockpit interface simply looks grey, but in others it is a light bluey/green grey.

Has anyone recently built an Il-2 and can give advice on the cockpit's interior colour??.

I don't mind blending if I have to!

Eoin
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 05:36 AM UTC
Hi Eoin,

I have not built the actual kit but some time ago I read a "Walk around" type tech / observation report on the IL-2 by someone who was also intending to build the model. It said that the cockpit grey/greeen was VERY similar to WW2 Luftwaffe RLM 02. Bear in mind however he was looking at (then) 55 years old paint samples so read into that what you will.

Just remember, you can't even get 2 identical paint samples at your local DIY store these days (unless from the same batch run) so it's fair to assume that factories spread all over Russia throughout the 4 years they were at war made shades of a colour (any colour) that varied significantly dependant upon the quality and quantity of available materials / pigments, brush or spray applied etc.

As such, I think you have quite a bit of room for manoeuvre on this topic.

Happy modelling!
Gary
eoinryan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 05:30 AM UTC
Gary,

Thanks for that, it makes perfect sense. The Soviet Air Ministry probably didn't worry too much what shade of interiors their Sturmovik's had as long as they destroying panzers!

I'll probably try a few blends and see what they look like on plastic before I make my mind up.

Thanks for the advice,

Eoin
 _GOTOTOP