_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
OS2U Kingfisher colors
DavidHill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 12:59 PM UTC
HI Guys,

I'm a ship builder as of now, but can anyone tell me the late war (1945) camo colors Kingfishers wore?...I've found many OS2U photos on the web but no color referances...also...Testor ModelMaster enamels are my paint of choice...TIA!!!

Dave
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 04:44 PM UTC
David, I've quickly gone through the printed material I have on the Kingfisher. I believe you would have to research the ship which supported a particular OS2U and see if you can find a photo of that particular plane.

I believe the navies late war examples would have been specified with Gloss Sea Blue uppers over Insignia White lowers. However, I can find photos of late war OS2u-3's carrying Intermediate Blue Grey uppers over Light Grey unders, as well as examples carrying the three tone camo pattern.

They were probably so busy at the time that the aircraft couldn't be quickly repainted to navy specs.

Good luck with your search. Guy
DavidHill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

However, I can find photos of late war OS2u-3's carrying Intermediate Blue Grey uppers over Light Grey unders, as well as examples carrying the three tone camo patter Guy

In my searches I too found this!...I am currently working on the USN Heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in her 1945 timeframe...I found only one grainy photo of her and her OS2U's are silouetted against the sky so their camo pattern is hard to determine...I'll just go with the Sea Blue/White...Many Thanks!!!

Dave
 _GOTOTOP