_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster New and Old
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hey Guys,

With the release of the new Lancaster model by Tamiya I am wondering what people think to it in comparrision to the older OOP kits. I have the old "Grand Slam" and "Dambuster" kits with which I've been holding onto for awhile. Alas i haven't found the time to build them so I'm wondering if I should look at selling one (or both) and just buy a newer release when I get around to it?

Whilst I do love the old kits part of me was holding onto them because i knew they were OOP and were fairly valuable.

Cheers for your thoughts
Matt
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi Matt

I did not ever hear that Tamiya had retooled for a new lancaster. My thinking is that they just usually re-issue.

The first time I ever saw the kit was in the later 80's, and at +/-$65.00, is was way over my budget. That one had to stay in the store, but, I recently purchased the B.MkI/III online. Kit #61105. I believe it is a re-issue.

My .02 is that you build the kits you have, as they are lovely models. I don't think another new one would put you any futher ahead, just a little poorer.

Guy
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 06:06 PM UTC
Hi Guys
Slightly off Topic
On our edition of the History channel they have just re-shown a great Doco
called Last of the Dambusters.
Heres a link
http://www.tvthrong.co.uk/press-releases/new-series-2
(cut and paste.....sorry)
might be a useful resource
Catch it if you can when it screens in your neck of the woods

Cheers

Chris
heraldcoupe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am wondering what people think to it in comparrision to the older OOP kits.

The new Lancaster is a re-release of the old kit, with some additional parts such as the FN20 gun turret and engine cowlings. Whether it's worth having over the old kits depends on the variant you intend to build, there have been no changes to the original parts,

Cheers,
Bill.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 07:46 AM UTC
Hi all,

Quoted Text

The new Lancaster is a re-release of the old kit, with some additional parts such as the FN20 gun turret and engine cowlings.

There are also two new transparent front domes which are more bulbous (the original kit had the "flatter" early version), new exhausts stacks and new propellers. I'd say if you don't already have a Lancaster in your stash, the new version is the one to get, but if you already have one (or two)...

I have built the newer kit not long ago: link here

Jean-Luc
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 11:24 AM UTC
Thank you all for your responses. I didn't realize it was mostly a reissue of the kits I have. By the time I get around to building it will have all sorts of aftermarket goodies to correct any issues those kits have.

Thanks also for the dam busters link...going to have to hunt that down. Makes me even more excited for the upcoming Peter Jackson Dam Busters movie being filmed at the moment.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP