_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
"Tool bar"
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC
How can I get rid of that thing?

I do not want it, it slows down the loading time considerably (!!!!!) and also I do not like the idea that every DAU can "share" my images...

thanks!

all the best

Steffen
Maurice
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 254 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 09:09 AM UTC
Same thing.

There are few things as irritating in web development as these toolbars and menus that slide into your screen where and when ever you don't want and need them covering part of the page you actually want to see. It uses memory to load making the pages of this site slow to load (and they already can be slow without such unnecessary gadgets) and it adds nothing to the website, as all the functions on the toolbar can be placed on the webpage itself.

So how does one turn it off?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 11:42 AM UTC
It might take an hour or so for some pages, but the toolbar is no more. I might offer it as an option for users to 'engage' if they so wish.

As for the performance issues I am not sure what is up today. Sometimes it seems unrelated to our server (like when the Amazon books ad is slow to load), but other times it does. There may be some issues going on at a network level with our hosting company. It seems better now than it was earlier today.

Cheers,
Jim
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 06:59 PM UTC
Thank you Jim!

I noticed that the speed issue was better after some time, still I am happy that the tool bar is gone now!

all the best

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 08:52 AM UTC
Well, this is old news since it's gone, but I got rid of it by adding *wibiya* to the filtering rules of adblock plus.

I second the opions above, I also found it distracting. But some people might nevertheless appreciate such gadgets so making it optional could be an option. Perhaps run a survey on the subject?

_GOTOTOP