_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
REAF Lancaster
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi,
I want to build Tamiya's 1/48 Lancaster bomber in Egyptian service. Problem is, the Egyptians flew the one with the bump or bulge on the undersurface, directly below the top gun turret, released by Tamiya as 6102, and the only Lancs I can find are the "improved" kit, 61105, which doesn't seem to have this bump on the bottom.
Has anyone built the Tamiya Lanc 61105? Does it have parts enabling modelers to build the earlier relese, with the bump? Or am I out of luck?
It's nice that Tamiya re-released this kit, but I wish they hadn't changed it.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 08:47 AM UTC
The bump is there, it's on the transparency sprue...

HTH

Andy
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 09:20 AM UTC
Thanks, Andy!
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 09:36 AM UTC
You're welcome.

It's a great kit, i would recommend the eduard seatbelts set as a minimum, the cockpit pre painted in colour (color) set of etch is also very good, a lot of an improvement over the decals.

look here for some assistance and inspiration!! (sorry to point you to somewhere other than aeroscale.)

this is my build log

Andy
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 12:48 PM UTC
Thanks! This will help me a lot. Seat belts and other interior details would just be a waste of money, since I plan on hanging my bomber from the ceiling, but I do plan to get the photoetch set for the bomb bay racks detail since the doors will be open. And Max Decals has a 1/32 sheet for foreign Lysanders, with REAF roundels, which I hope will be be the right size for my Lanc. At this point I'm still trying to decide if I should invest in a canopy mask or not.
 _GOTOTOP