Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 Hansa B. W.29 OEFFAG_153
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 01:37 AM UTC
Thank You all for your very kind comments on the build so far. Coming from some of the best builders I know – they really mean a lot

Quoted Text

The motor fitted to the HB W.29 was similar to the motor in the Roland D.VIb. So can you guess what WNW may offer in the future?

Hmmmm, another Roland in the pipeline....??? My credit card is still trying to get over the previously mentioned "mysterious" purchase which by the way appeared on my doorstep the other day – they all look very tasty indeed, and I'm currently reading the instruction booklets –  thinking about weather to start the DH9, the RE.8 or the Gotha after this build – Decisionss, decisions

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 01:53 AM UTC
Last night, after the BBQ I attached the wings to the fuselage I figure It'll be easier to get the hex decals on with the wings in place.

The engineering with the metal spar is simply superb - all I had to do was to trim the locating lugs slightly to fit in the recieving holes. I then smeared some super epoxy on the spar, and in the holes to keep everything in place and then slid the wings in place using the spar as the guide – done!

It also brought home the size of the wings – one by one they looked very large. Together they dwarf the fuselage, creating an impression of a really massive wingspan.

Mikael
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 - 10:40 AM UTC
You have made a lot of progress since my last check of your build! The engine, interior, and paint work are looking great as always! Looking forward to more,
RAGIII
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 08:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You have made a lot of progress since my last check of your build! The engine, interior, and paint work are looking great as always! Looking forward to more,
RAGIII

Thank You so very much RAGIII The "fast" progress is partly due to the fine WNW engineering + my wife having been away on a business trip

Mikael
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 01:46 AM UTC
Some really spectacular work there. Without being repetitive let me just say ditto on everything said already.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 09:49 AM UTC
The in the box kit review is up and running with some images and quotes from Mikael's build here, Thanks Mikael for allowing them to be used. Model On Please!

Click here.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some really spectacular work there. Without being repetitive let me just say ditto on everything said already.

Thank You so very much Mark – really apreciated
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The in the box kit review is up and running with some images and quotes from Mikael's build here, Thanks Mikael for allowing them to be used. Model On Please!

Click here.

My pleasure Stephen – and great review BTW
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 09:00 AM UTC
HI all

Heres a quick interim update. I've started applying the decals to the fuselage. They are on their best behaviour, and settle down very snuggly with not too much trouble at all. I used a bit of Microset, dabbing it on the place where the decals go, and its worked really well – though I guess too much could posibly do some damage if you're not careful...

I think the Hex looks good – though perhaps a bit bright and light? I will do some texturing, making them look more in scale, once they are all in place under a bit of clear coat...

All and any comments are as usual most welcome.

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 08:14 PM UTC
Looking very good Mikael. I see what you mean about the size of those wings now. Yes the hex does look a little Yay but I'm sure you can tone and blend it in a little as you work.

Lovely

Keith
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 04:20 AM UTC
Hi Mikeal:

It is coming along nicely. I will be interested to see how you tone down the lozenge. Looking forward to more updates.

Best

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking very good Mikael. I see what you mean about the size of those wings now. Yes the hex does look a little Yay but I'm sure you can tone and blend it in a little as you work.

Lovely

Keith

Thank You Keith – I hope so, Im leaning towards using an oil wash with a broad brush. I've used this on the land based Loz before – and its worked well. Hoping that Naval Hex will work similar....

BTW – does anybody know if the Hex on the top decking was painted or streched fabric? Curious as I think the texturing would be different. I'll have to check my sources a bit I think

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mikeal:

It is coming along nicely. I will be interested to see how you tone down the lozenge. Looking forward to more updates.

Best

Mark

Hi Mark

and thank you very much  – I'll keep you posted on my progress for sure. Right now weather is very good, and the garden beckons a bit... Has your riding season started yet?

Best Regards Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 03:29 AM UTC

BTW – does anybody know if the Hex on the top decking was painted or streched fabric? Curious as I think the texturing would be different. I'll have to check my sources a bit I think

Option 3 of course....laughs

fabric stretched and glued over ply *just joking...or am I?

Keith
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 03:56 AM UTC
Ah ofcourse – never considered this third option – which by the way seem to be correct according to the Datafile

Mikael
badwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 10:13 AM UTC
This is looking really cool, and the decals look better on the model then on the decal paper, if you wanted to tone them down, either a very light misting over of Tamiya, Flat Brown or Flat Blue, or you could just try Smoke, but do it on a scrap bit decal, and see how it looks first, if it doesn't look correct then leave it.
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 12:22 PM UTC
I really like how your build is coming along. Your results are most impressive, to the point that I might have to try to emulate them. I may end up promoting this kit to the top of the "build me now" stash.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is looking really cool, and the decals look better on the model then on the decal paper, if you wanted to tone them down, either a very light misting over of Tamiya, Flat Brown or Flat Blue, or you could just try Smoke, but do it on a scrap bit decal, and see how it looks first, if it doesn't look correct then leave it.

Thank You very much Keith – I agree they look batter on than off, and I will tone them down a bit – probably with a combination of oil wash and misting with a light Tamiya mixture – I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like how your build is coming along. Your results are most impressive, to the point that I might have to try to emulate them. I may end up promoting this kit to the top of the "build me now" stash.

Thank You very much Dennis Do promote it – you woun't regret it, it is a great build – with nearly perfect engineering!

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi All,

Time for another update –feels like its been a while since last – but there has been a lot of progress made too!

Most time has been spent applying the Hex to the uppersurfaces, this was a pretty straightforward proceedure, but time consuming. I did a couple of bolts at night, then let it dry until the next day. The bolts are done as cookie cut patterns in the kit, with cut outs for the nonslip surface and the small hatches. The Hex was laid out as a contious pattern with seamless transitions, oposite to the landbased lozenge – so once you’ve laid the first bolt – you have to carefully fit the next one to match. This was not too difficult –but you need to trim off a slight sliver on each side – otherwise you get a quite noticable ”black” line along the edges.

The only small trouble I had was the fact that the cut outs for the hatches did not match, and althogh the bolts were fairly well sized I found the last one on the wingtip to be a bit short. Mind you only a bit – but enough to have to do a bit of mending. There is ample of extra bits on the sheet, so this was pretty straightforward.

I sprayed the whole lot with a couple of coats of Furure, and then started considering the waethering. The Hex is a bit bright as it comes – probably so that each modeler can do as they please with texture and toning. I choose to go with oils and a bit of dry pastel. But rather than using my usual burnt umber – I went for yellow ochre light and white in various mixes. In my mind I wanted a sun bleached and ”salty residue” effect. After this was applied I did some details and smears using the umber...

Overall I’m fairly pleasaed with the end result – even though I think I may have overdone it a bit in places. Well – judge for yourselves...

Before – nice fitting pattern that needs some blending. If you look close on the hatch you’ll see that I had to make a bit of mending to get it to look right.

During– I applied oils in small blotches, mixed with a bit of white spirit. Then using various brushesspreading it out out – only to wipe most of it off with a rag. Then some dry brushing and que-tips etc to blend it all together. After sealing I used a bit of dry pastel for a bit of further highlighting in places.

After – all blended in and drying –it took about three days for it to be all dry – be careful to keep it all away from dust.

I liked the idea of dried salt on the black floats – perhaps I should’ve applied a bit less – but I guess I can tone it down a bit later on...

Thats about it for now. Guess I’m out of the final bend and onto the home straight. With no upperwing, nor any rigging to speak of final assembly will move fairly quick I think. There are some more details taht needs to be put in its place – and then ofcourse the engine and guns.

Til next time –thank You for looking –all and any comments as as usual very welcome.

Mikael
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hi Mikael

Your lozenge looks to be a perfect blend; well done. Photographs can be hard to read, especially when artificial light is used. I wonder if the finish is still slightly gloss.

I have this kit in the stash, and will remember your excellent thread when the time comes.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 03:02 AM UTC
Thanks Mark

You're right, its a bit difficult to see the full effect in the images, the flash tends to highlight some things more and almost hiding others all together. Even the non-flash images are somewhat misrepresenting some of the effects I've tried to do.

Yes, there is a slight sheen to the finish at the moment – not sure if I'm going to leave it so, or apply a more flat coat  – opinions anyone?

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 03:26 AM UTC
Hi Mikael:

I like the subtleness of your weathering. It is noticeable but overly done. I guess the sheen is a personal thing. In looking at my LVG, I originally left the lozenge sort of glossy, but I am rethinking and will be giving it a coat of Dull Coat as it just doesn't look right. The camera can play tricks. I like the 'sheen' on yours.

Best

Mark
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 04:36 AM UTC
That's about as nice as it gets. Really like this build.

I also like a little "sheen". I think that a dead flat is really rare. Even on a dirty weathered, flat painted aircraft there is a bit of a sheen. Below is a shot of the front of the P-40 "Bob's Robin" It is very obviously flat. But at the same time there is a bit of reflectiveness that can be seen. Starting at the tip of the spinner and graduating down a line in the middle and by the sharks teeth where the cowl curves into the intake.

This photo is used for discussion purposes only.

dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hi Mikael

I really like the effect the weathering has on the lozenge. I think that it came out quite well using the oils.

Keep those pictures coming!