_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
First build.
Banditt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 01:25 AM UTC
Well this will be my first build EVER and I'm pritty excited. As iv never done this before I just went to a local model shop and ask for a fairly easy build so I was told to have a bash at a "revell supermarine spitfire mk v 1:72".
I started work on it last night and I dint want to put it down to go to bed haha.
So basicly i have joined this site to pick up tips and trick and also to join in a community that now have somthing in common with.

My first question is....... I see that there is a beginners guide to everything part1 but is there a second part to this??

My second question is..... I have the very basic/ bare essentails for this build I.e. What come in the box with the build and also some craft tools. But what things should I buy for my next build.

Sorry for going on with myself but and help would be fantastic.

P.s. Sorry for any bad spelling in my posts. Dyslexic.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi and welcome Matty. That is funny as that is what my wife calls me. Great name! Congratulations on your first project of what will hopefully be many more. There is a lot to learn about our great hobby and this is a great place to learn about it. I have no clue about the "for beginners" articles you mention, sorry. As far as what to look for for future builds, Tool-wise, I would suggest start saving for an airbrush. This is one tool that really helps make this hobby fun. There are some great builders out there that only brush paint and my hat is off to them, but an airbrush will help in making the task of painting easier and actually enjoyable. Some other tools that make things easier are sanding sticks. Check at a local beauty supply store as they are usually cheaper here. A good supply of hobby blades. #11 are the most popular. Masking tape for test fitting assemblies. Clothes pins to hold parts, rubber bands for the same reason. I would also recommend Tamiya's super thin cement for assembly. Personal preference, but I really have had great results with this stuff. I'm sure there are others out there that will have more suggestions for you here shortly. Just keep tabs on this site and ask all the questions you want. We are a likable bunch who likes to help those new to the hobby learn and grow. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. I don't always check out every forum so I may miss something if you post it there... Welcome aboard! "Q"
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hi Matty.
Welcome to Aeroscale, it's great to have you along. Matt [Red4] has pretty much covered everything you need. Just read as much as you can and look at other models of any subject. Ask at your hobby store and see if there are any local modelers that you can meet up with. If there's a club even better. In the meantime please don't be afraid of posting questions, we are all here to help and encourage.
I don't think there is a 'beginners guide to everything part 2'.
Any thoughts on your next project after your Spitfire Matty?
All the best.
tim
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 03:39 PM UTC
Rock on Banditt! I roll with an xacto knife with a small pack of #11 blades, xuron sprue cutters, and some needle files and sanding sticks (like the ones in the beauty supply sections at your local stores). I keep Loc-Tite superglue gel, no odor Testors cement, and Gator Glue along with some toothpicks and piece of card in my kit as well. I just apply some glue to the card and use the toothpicks to apply it to the model parts. I'm still trying to figure out how to work a portable paint setup into my kit, but at least I get to build

I would suggest trying out any of the new 1:72 Airfix kits as well. I bought a Spitfire and it practically fell together when I emptied the contents from the box
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 04:29 PM UTC
Welcome to Aeroscale Matty!

I am sure you will get all your questions answered here. Try typing your kit name into the search engine - include the company name and you will be taken to a page that list multiple topics on your subject. Here is a bit of fun on the subject.

Click here.

For now Model On!
Stephen
Banditt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hi sorry for the late reply iv so busy with work not had chance to get on here.
First off thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice and help is fantastic, I'll definitely be sticking around learning all I can.
Thanks for the link I found the same problems as The poster but managed to overcome them. I finish my spitfire a day ago still needs a few touch ups but is 99.9% there.
I noticed he used "after Market add ons" news to me that you can buy them so I will be looking that route as it gives them a more realistic look.
I hand painted mine but the finish with the airbrush looks unbelievably good.

So with the spitfire done iv started on a [auto-censored]e wolf, cnt wait to do a bomber.

on a final note how fiddly are the transfers to get in place or is it just me haha?
 _GOTOTOP