_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
Feedback, not on site but on reviews
opantoja
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 12:34 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I know someone is going to take this the wrong way but I think this is the best modeling site on the web and some of the people that work hard to keep it up deserve it.

I returned to modeling after over 25 years. After a run in college, 20 years in the military, kids, you name it I had to deal with it. Now its just my wife and me so I can return to something I really enjoyed.

The subject matters vary depending on mood but I build aircraft and armor 1/32 and 1/35 and I am starting to play with figures. Most of the time, before I jump on a certain kit, I look for reviews and opinions on this web site and one other.

At first I found the "rivet counters" and annoying, after ignoring their petty bickering about raised panel lines or wrong propeller pitch for a particular model, I usually hit the nail on the head by going with a kit the "rivet counters" rated as low, below average or worse.

My opinion is; If you write reviews on new kits or products please consider sticking to writing things that speak to a non-professional hobbyist as well as the professional.

I am sure that there are modelers out there that aren't worried if a 3 inch prop for an ME-109G is not the right prop because its too thick at the shank or if the panel lines are raised and they should be engraved. Those details are what modeling may be about, sure, but they dont make or break a kit. As a modeler those details are to discover and deal with.

A good example of a review is one I read about Trumpeter's F14D Tomcat, its a build log I think. It says, not as clearly as it should, that the intake ramps are mis-identified, they should be switched and not installed as shown. That is a good piece or analysis and will help many, many modelers.

I am sure I will get a lot of slack because not everyone sees my point of view, that's ok, I'm fine with that but consider what I am saying before criticizing what I say.

Just a thought........
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 08:18 AM UTC
Greetings Orlando,

Glad to have your input. My point of view is give the modeler both technodata, history, practical applications and simple fixes. I try to reach a broad variety of modelers. Due to the amounts of kits and accessories I get, I stick to in the box reviews and support others blogs with gifts of some items I get.

Occasionally I get to build some of the items in detail. It usually take 4 - 8 hours to do a detailed in the box review that tries to cover all the bases. I would welcome your support and would ask you to contribute a review or few.

It will have to be seen by and editor so you will only have to do about 50% of the work. The edit takes a bit of time too. At any rate Model On!
opantoja
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 09:13 AM UTC
I would love to give it a go and will do so with my next build.

Orlando
 _GOTOTOP