_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Finished F4F-4 Wildcat Tamiya kit 1/48
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 11:11 AM UTC
Howdy all.. I just finished this one for the hanger queen campaign, and I thought I'd post the photos here, so feel free to comment.. I really want to know what everyone thinks.

F4F-4 Wildcat, Tamiya kit in 1/48 scale.

the final steps were a clearcoat after the chalk fading, then an overspray of very well thinned basecoat lightened with white. I tried to achive a fading effect.

Here is a photo of the finished model.

here is a period photo of the aircraft I modeled.

and here is the photo of my model sent throu a black and white film filter

I know most are afraid of closeups of models but here are a few.. so stand back.

Closeup showing how the wash brought out some of the engine details and the two paint colors

Yes these are the orignal tamiya armor plated decals. I used several coatings of solveset and the wash and chalk fading really makes it look like paint.

overall side view

3/4 side view

and a wing close up

there are more photos but I think this is enough for now.. LOL

I tried several new things with this model and I am wondering if I have achived a good fading technique which I was trying for..

Delbert
McIvan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 01:07 PM UTC
Great model, I am highly impressed!

Love the fading work....I think you did exceptionally well.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 01:19 PM UTC
I agree completely. Great work, great weathering. I've never been much on weathering but you made it great! Russell
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 02:28 PM UTC
Beautifully finished build Delbert, well done ! The weathering and fading look very realistic and true to the pics of the original aircraft.

Do I detect some fogging of the cockpit glass? Any idea what caused this?

Overall a great job, D.
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 02:36 PM UTC
thanks everyone.

the glass gave me lots of trouble. first of all I used tamiya masking tape.. but it was on the plane for several months.. came off ok, but left a residue that took me a bit to get most of it off..

the final step I used was an overspray of a lightened basecolor.. and I had already removed the masking. I just did my best to not spray the glass.. but a little overspray happened.. it looks worse in the photos than it does on the model.. lol.

live and learn

I'm thinking of using some thinner to fix this but I really don't want to destroy the painted canopie rails which look pretty good for one i've done..

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 02:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm thinking of using some thinner to fix this but I really don't want to destroy the painted canopie rails which look pretty good for one i've done..

A little thinner on a cotton bud and some careful handiwork should clean it up nicely. Once again, a great build.

Cheers, D
bmikk1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 06:10 AM UTC
Great looking model Delbert, the chalk fading looks nice. I have been pratcing this technique with my armor models and have been happy with the results. I did notice in the last pic the blue/white star on the wing has a "clean" spot in the upper corner. Is this from handling the model before the final clear coats? The decals do look painted on and the fading worked very well to hide any edges from showing.
 _GOTOTOP