_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Weathering with standard paint?
FetidRanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 07:18 AM UTC
i am ready to take my first stab at weathering a early model Panther (Tamiya), and my local shop owner was out of Blue Grey Filter(MIG). He said though that thinned paint of the same primary color will do the same thing. I think he was sincere, but how would that give me that grimy used look? Wouldn't it just enhance the existing color? I'm going for grimy!
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 09:03 AM UTC
Ok, I am not sure what you are trying to acheive, but Filter's are for creating a color modulation in the paint scheme. If you are looking for that weathered look, you should be looking at washes and pigments. Look through out the forums and you will find plenty of tips on weathering.

Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hello there,I think you are talking about an early panther tank.I don't think panthers were painted gray,they were usually base coated yellow and camo with red brown and green.But if you are painting it gray the blue gray filter would change the tone or modulate the base gray,but not be used for imparting a grimy look.

The grimey look is achieved by a overall wash of very thin burnt umber 90-10,also an enamel wash or filter like Mig should only be used on acrylic finish or acrylic sealed basecoats.i hope this helped a little.
FetidRanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:30 AM UTC
Thanks this helps a ton! It is the old Tamiya kit Panther Ausf. A, and you are absolutely correct about the camo. I could swear I was given a grey option in the paint scheme, but I may have free-lanced that one due to fear over my camo skills. No airbrush yet!

However I did use acrylic Tamiya, so what I am looking for is that worn grimy look, not so much color modulation. The Burnt Umber Mix definitely sounds like what I am looking for. So I will try that, and try to be more authentic on the next one....!

Thank you so much!
 _GOTOTOP