_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Medivac Huey crash
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
AeroScale: 1,072 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It came out really nicely. Good job overall. You still haven't answered my question though. Was "Dork" an actual aircraft, or artistic license? I can't find any reference to it.

I worked with a guy who's father was an Army Medic in Vietnam. His father has since passed away. All he told me was that his dad had been shot down in a Dust off chopper in 1963 while attempting to evac some wounded from a fire fight. The Huey was either a D or an H, and it was called "The Dork" or "Dork" he was not sure, I do not have the outfit but wanted to do this as a tribute to his father. No photos of the chopper were available so I am guessing on the markings also. Sorry I did not know you asked the question till I looked back at the thread, you had asked a couple of questions at the same time and I missed it.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 - 12:35 PM UTC
No problem on missing the question. It is a fitting tribute, good job. If it was '63, it was a D model as well. H Models didn't come around until '67.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No problem on missing the question. It is a fitting tribute, good job. If it was '63, it was a D model as well. H Models didn't come around until '67.

good thing I did the seats in red then to force the D model. Thanks for your kind words.
Groundeffect
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 08:07 AM UTC
I've enjoyed your build......not sure how you do it.
scottew7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 03:47 PM UTC
awesome cant wait to see more
oliver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Beersheba, Israel
KitMaker: 119 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 12:37 AM UTC
Just found this thread,a absolutely brilliant piece of work well thought out and detailed especialy the scratch build figures.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just found this thread,a absolutely brilliant piece of work well thought out and detailed especialy the scratch build figures.

thanks Oliver, it was a fun project and I am glad you like it.
Grauwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
AeroScale: 95 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 01:39 PM UTC
Simply......WOW!

Cheers,
Joe
Removed by original poster on 11/21/13 - 19:22:12 (GMT).
PC12Driver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 07:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Doug, no matter a few details here and there, it's still looking like a great bird, or whats left of her. The cobra set you used, does it come with the uprights for the stretchers? Also would like to know if the set comes with the jungle penetrator within the set. I have 8 V.N. chopers to do and a dust off is in the future. A real good book if you can find it is Ballentine Press, (paper back) titled, Dust off. Some good write ups and photos. Will be looking forward to seeing more of this bird here, darn good job.

I know you posted this a year ago, but your question is right in my wheelhouse. I am trying to figure out a way to duplicate those stanchions for the litter rack in both 1/35 & 1/24 scale. I am building a small series of MedEvac ships thru the years: H-13, UH-1 (x2) and the UH-60L. Since Joe @ Fireball quit making the resin set for the UH-1H, we are left to our own devices. But, since it HAS been a year, I'm hoping you found a solution in the meantime.
Thanks,
Kevin Farell
[email protected]
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey Doug, no matter a few details here and there, it's still looking like a great bird, or whats left of her. The cobra set you used, does it come with the uprights for the stretchers? Also would like to know if the set comes with the jungle penetrator within the set. I have 8 V.N. chopers to do and a dust off is in the future. A real good book if you can find it is Ballentine Press, (paper back) titled, Dust off. Some good write ups and photos. Will be looking forward to seeing more of this bird here, darn good job.

I know you posted this a year ago, but your question is right in my wheelhouse. I am trying to figure out a way to duplicate those stanchions for the litter rack in both 1/35 & 1/24 scale. I am building a small series of MedEvac ships thru the years: H-13, UH-1 (x2) and the UH-60L. Since Joe @ Fireball quit making the resin set for the UH-1H, we are left to our own devices. But, since it HAS been a year, I'm hoping you found a solution in the meantime.
Thanks,
Kevin Farell
[email protected]
size=1 color=#353535>

sorry to say no I have not but they are really not that complicated to build in 1/32nd scale. if you do a 1/48th the ESCI kit has a great set included in the kit. but still no penetrator.
Doug
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 08:47 AM UTC
Like Doug says, there are no other suppliers of the litter stanchions in 1/35 or 1/32, they are not too hard to make though.

The jungle penetrator is available in 1/35 in the Academy MH-60G and AH-60L DAP kits. It also has a pretty nice internal rescue hoist as well. I used them both in a UH-1H Medevac dio a did a few years ago.

More here.
FloydWerner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 11:11 AM UTC
That is impressive work on both dioramas. Please tell me you cat those figures. They should be marketed. I know I would love to have them in my line.

Great job
Floyd
 _GOTOTOP