_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1/48 TBM-3 "USS Bunker Hill"
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 07:00 AM UTC
Thanks to Academy a superb Accurate Miniature kits can see a daylight once again - a 1/48 scale TBM-3 have been just announced as one of forthcoming releases of the Korean producer.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 01:30 PM UTC

The Accurate Miniatures kit will still have the wrong prop, inaccurate canopy cross-section and terrible TBM-3 cowling.

The wrong prop is particularly awful, while the Hobby Boss TBM-3 prop is really superb, one of the best I have ever seen: Save your money for a good kit...

Note the Accurate Miniatures tail surface hinges are infinitely superior to the sad Hobby Boss effort, and putting the AM rudder-elevators on the HB kit makes a truly great (and compatible: I checked) kit bash...

Academy decals used not to be good at all, so that may count as well...

Gaston
bmikk1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 07:34 AM UTC
It is good to see the Accurate Miniature kits being sold again (even under a different company banner.) Good build quality at a low price. I imagine this one should come in around the 30$ mark.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... Academy decals used not to be good at all, so that may count as well...

Gaston

You are right with the old Aca decals, Gaston. All tear more or less when put in water. But with the newer kits it seems to be a little different. I have here the relatively new Bf 109 T-2 in 1/48 (art. 12225) and the decals look good on the paper, printed by Cartograf, which speaks for itself. Let's hope the decals on the new Avenger are about the same quality.
Though I really don't need another Avenger, having 4 Accurate and Italeri kits in my stash .....

Happy modelling!
Torsten
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 10:41 AM UTC
Cartograff makes the decals for this kit. The artwork on the box top is pretty eye catching. One day I'm going to build one of these.
 _GOTOTOP