_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Opinions on Iwata
hogkeeper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 04:31 AM UTC
Looking for some advice/opinions on Iwata airbrushes. I've been using a Pasche VLS for about the last 4 years but am just not happy with it. I've been looking at Iwata, in particular the HP-CH and the HP-C plus. Anybody have any experience with these that can render an opinion or at least point me in the right direction. I guess I should clarify what I don't like about the Pasche. It is a good general purpose brush but it doesn't work well with acrylics, at least that is my experience. I think it might be because it is siphon fed instead of gravity. Also very difficult to get a fine spray pattern out of it.
Thanks,
Andy
Anmoga
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi Andy,

I have the HP-CH and the HP-BH and both are wonderful AB.

In my life I have used before a generic single action AB and Iwata's are way ahead of that.

The atomization that you get of the paint is incredible, the workmanship is also incredible and the different parts have very, very tight tolerances.

I use acrylics (tamiya and Gunze) and haven't got any problems with them.

You can get a very fine spray pattern wit the HP-CH and besides that you can also buy the 0.2 needle, nozzle and nozzle cap to have an even finer spray pattern.

In the case that you want it mainly for fine spray patterns maybe you should consider the HP-BH since it has an smaller deposit and allows you to see better the kit you are painting.

I also recommend, no matter which AB you get, to buy the crown cap. In that way you will be able to protect the needle when fine spraying.

I would recommend also using a compressor with a deposit and air-pressure regulator in order to get the most of the AB.

Hope this helps,
Angel
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 09:48 AM UTC
For years I have used mostly Badgers and also a Paasche VL for painting models but wanted to try an Iwata and after buying one I liked it so much I bought three other Iwata's.

The most useful Iwata airbrush for painting scale models turned out to be the low priced Revolution BR, I have an Iwata HP-B Plus and an Iwata CM, both are great airbrushes but after I found out how well the Revolution BR works for painting Luftwaffe camouflage schemes I don't use them much anymore.

If you are going to use your airbrush for painting small details in confined spaces choose one of the Iwata's with a small paint cup so you can see what you are painting easier.

Matrixone
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 10:28 AM UTC
I use both a Paasche VL and an Iwata Eclipse, they both have their strengths, I use the Paasche for over all painting, misting, and primers, the Iwata I use for detail and control. But I have to admit, I really love my Iwata.

Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 05:24 AM UTC
I have the Cadillac of airbrushes - gluttony and all - the CM-C plus.

I LOVE my Iwata, but in the spirit of giving helpful advice - I would say make sure that you choose an Iwata with the MAC Valve - it has honestly made airbrushing so much easier, I don't need a secondary brush (I have some, I simply don't use them) and I find the Iwatas are so painfully easy to clean and maintain - even for a monkey like me.

I spent the money up front to get the CM-Cplus, but I know it will out live me, and I'm perfectly okay with that.

_GOTOTOP