_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
Emphasis on build blogs!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 - 12:20 AM UTC
Hi!

I would like to suggest that the "active build blogs" list returns to the front page.

I still think it is the most interesting kind of threads and they deal with the subject of actually building a model so they should actively be supported and presented to the world!

I would also like to dust off my old idea of listing users build blogs in their profiles, either as a separate list or as a filter like the "Topics Started"-filter available today.

Best regards

Magnus
p40f20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 - 01:27 AM UTC
I agree. 100%
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 09:45 AM UTC
Seconded.
IMO, the front page (at least) would also benefit from being wider. At the moment, quite many of the post/news/article titles aren't displayed completely.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 09:04 PM UTC
I completely agree that the user profiles could use an re-vamp and become a modellers home page on Kitmaker.

Useful additions would not only be the build logs but also succesful campaign pictures, a better integration of the gallery pictures ...

But the new home page looks quite well, is far less cluttered than the previous one ... we must be careful not to add things to the extend that the nice and very practical lay-out goes bust

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 09:14 PM UTC
I think it is fine just as it is, It is relatively easy to find active build logs as they have a 'New' label when something has been added. That way you aren't reading the same old stuff over and over.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 09:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it is fine just as it is, It is relatively easy to find active build logs as they have a 'New' label when something has been added. That way you aren't reading the same old stuff over and over.

I see your point Warren but still there is no way of distinguishing a build blog from something else when an active thread pops up in the list. I could settle for a compromise: leave the front page as it is but show the "build blog"-symbol besides the relevant entry! Any takers?

Magnus
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 10:25 PM UTC
I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly Magnus, but there is a small grey wheel or cog beside the thread title which defines it as a build blog thread. Check your 110 thread title in the Latest Posts page.

Cheers, D
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 10:38 PM UTC
My bad! I've never tried pressing the "latest posts"-button, I can even filter on blogs there! Just what I was looking for!

Thanks!

Magnus
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My bad! I've never tried pressing the "latest posts"-button, I can even filter on blogs there! Just what I was looking for!

Thanks!

Magnus

I never look any further than the latest posts page. Its the perfect way for me to follow all new content on any subject in the forums without any unnecessary clicking and browsing.

Even when I have been absent from the forum for a long time (which rarely happens) the latest post givs me fast access to everything that happened.

Only disadvantage is that, starting from the latest post page, its impossible to start a new subject. Maybe staff-jim can solve that?

Hiowever, I would still find it a nice imporvement if buildign logs would be added to a user profile in a similar way to features and reviews

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks!

Magnus

I never look any further than the latest posts page. Its the perfect way for me to follow all new content on any subject in the forums without any unnecessary clicking and browsing.

Even when I have been absent from the forum for a long time (which rarely happens) the latest post givs me fast access to everything that happened.

Only disadvantage is that, starting from the latest post page, its impossible to start a new subject. Maybe staff-jim can solve that?

Hiowever, I would still find it a nice imporvement if buildign logs would be added to a user profile in a similar way to features and reviews

I'll second the thought about build blogs in user profiles!

/M
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 141 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 12:48 AM UTC
I'd like to weigh in and suggest that build blogs have their own column on the home page similar to news and reviews. My feeling is that a build blog says more about a kit than an in box review ever could. This is where the warts of a kit can really come to light. An example is the Cyber Hobby Helldiver in 1/72, which looks gorgeous in the box but is littered with frustrating errors. Pointing out the high or low points of a kit can help others avoid potential pit falls and avoid frustration and help in choosing the right kit based on the modellers skill level. As it is, the build log posts just fall off the end of the forum column, usually in a couple of hours. I take the point that you can go in and search latest posts and filter build logs but I'm not sure how many people actually do that. I know from my perspective that I tend to quickly browse the home page and look for the red 'new' labels as being a busy father and having a full work schedule, I am constrained by time. Actually building the kit is a lot more time and labour intensive than an in box review and it can be frustrating as a build blogger, knowing that your hard work is not being seen by as many potential builders as possible. I think that a seperate column for 'build reviews' would add a valuable resource to the site and would work well in tandem with the 'in box reviews' column in helping modellers choose and navigate their next project.
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 141 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 01:01 AM UTC
Of course, I realise that posting the above has inched my Helldiver build ever closer to the pit of oblivion
 _GOTOTOP