_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS III GB Albatros D.III (OEF)
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 06:58 AM UTC
Ola Entoni

I read through your whole first thread as I was wondering what happened with the earlier built attempt. And you surely managed to ressurect the kit. Awesome job. Love all the details you put into this and the painting is really good.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 04:21 AM UTC
@Faust: thanks for your words of support! Yes, it's quite a story!

Hi everyone,

I was away for several days for both business and holidays. I didn't have much time to work on the minutiae of the engine bay, besides the engine itself. I didn't make many photos because it is essentially the same as the previous one, I've just upgraded it with several smaller details. I need to do some weathering as well, but on later stage. I still have to add the exhaust stacks which are scratched from ticker tin foil.

Only two photos for now.

...and more to come!

All the best,
Entoni

PS. the placards on the engine are not original ones; I lost the original PE parts at some point during my previous build, so these were scratched from self adhesive led foil - I cut a piece, colored it with a black permanent marker pen, and scratched to simulate faded inscription. It's not the best, but still better than none!

eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

A bit more done last night... I didn't attract many comments with my previous posts, and I hope this one will be better received The engine now sits in its place (unglued), because I had to align the Schwarzlose properly. I also played with some chipping and usual tear and wear of the camo. Still more to come, including weathering....

All the best,
Entoni

PS. I hope I won't "convert" to WWI modeling in the end
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 09:11 PM UTC
Hello Entoni,

What a beautiful continuation of your project – just love the engine!

Look forward to more soon!

Mikael

P.S.

Quoted Text

PS. I hope I won't "convert" to WWI modeling in the end

Oh – go on, you know you really want to
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 - 08:48 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

I had accident with my right wrist. I was stung by some insect, and it actually escalated into a painful blain and it needed medical attention and care. I could hardly type during the morning (mostly using my left hand and my right index finger, which is funny to watch), but it is much easier tonight. I managed to do some relaxing work in my den, and also used the opportunity for some cleaning.

After all, it really stands out with the stabbed heart. I will keep adding decals and prepare it for weathering, but it looks nice already...

comments welcome,
Entoni
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 03:49 AM UTC
Ouch... sounds painful indeed. Hope it keeps getting better. Nice work on the bird.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 06:58 PM UTC
My oh my, this build just keep getting better – the "arrow through the hart" is a very nice marking, and one I would like to do in 1:32...

Hope your wrist is improving Entoni!

Mikael
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 06:43 AM UTC
Mikael,

Thanks for your nice words! Yes, the "pierced heart" is really nice marking... I was drawn to it immediately! my wrist is getting better, and I hope to continue with my projects soon!

All the best,
Entoni
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 12:07 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

I am back on the track, and actually managed to do something. Most of you know my plan to do the 253.06, which also necessitated some marking changes, particularly the odd looking cross on the rudder. Since I am inexperienced with biplanes, I did have some problems to attach the upper wing, and the wing struts are really tiny. However, I will keep adding small details (the engine is not glued yet), but I wanted to post some pictures... the images are taken outside in full sunshine, so the colors are a bit warmer... but you can actually see the effect of the "autumn leaf" cammo, which is particularly nice under natural light. Everything is too bright for my taste at the moment, but the weathering and dull coats will tone it down a bit. I am still pleased with the results, which is good...

Comments welcome, as always...

All the best,
Entoni
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 01:34 AM UTC
The woodgrain effect is nothing short of spectacular.

But seriously - why bother?? Because you "know it's there"?

When all's said and done it's your build and you can do what you like with it.

But to my mind it's an absolute crying shame to go to all that trouble, produce such superb wood-effect results - and then just cover it up with a paint scheme (excellent though that is too).

I'm scratching my head in bewilderment here.

- Steve
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But to my mind it's an absolute crying shame to go to all that trouble, produce such superb wood-effect results - and then just cover it up with a paint scheme (excellent though that is too).

Steve, thanks for your comment! Yes, I know it is hard to understand! However, the woodgrain effect is still there, only you can't see it Just joking! It is still visible, however, at the bottom of fuselage (where there's no camo). On the other hand, I had to practice this technique for my next build, so it wasn't in vain. My next WWI model is bare wood, and I learned a lot from this one. But thanks for your words of encouragement! I am glad you like it!

All the best,
Entoni
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 05:31 AM UTC
Entoni, that's really coming together nicely.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 07:39 PM UTC
This is coming together really brilliantly – I think you get the feel of the wood underneath the cammo – which would not have been the case, had you only sprayed it "beige".

And as you say, it is bare wood on the belly, hard to "stop" painting wood, without getting a sharp edge somewhere, wich would spoil the effect with the mottled cammo...

All the best

Mikael
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 09:31 PM UTC
Hi everybody,

Thanks for your feedback and comments! As this build is slowly getting together after a long, long trip, my friend Nicolas is near the end with a set of figures that will accompany the kit... Mr. Navratil enjoying a lady's company... it is not finished yet, but it will surely add some flavor to the finished kit... The photo is just a teaser!

All the best,
Entoni
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

The update of this buildlog is long overdue. I had my ups and downs, but I am near to full completion. I will keep adding the smallest of details here and there, but I can call it officially finished. It is intended as a small diorama base kit, but I still miss my figures and other details to put it together. So, after more than a year... and here we have a model! It is my first WWI subject ever, and therefore be gentle with your comments. The overall weathering is overdone, and the has an overly aggressive finish. To be honest, it looks more like a tank than like an airplane... but the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't know whether the kit could be submitted as finished, but I need to check it out with our Editor-at-Large. When time permits, I will wrap up my feature article, with many photos of the model and an interesting story to go with it. I hope you like it, but as always I will be more than happy to hear your comments and criticism... My sincere thanks goes to all of you who visited my first, and the second build long, posted your comments! You were a great source of encouragement an support! Thank you all!

All the best,
Entoni
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 11:41 AM UTC
Hello...!

Fantastic....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diego
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC
That is truly, truly phenomenal!
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 01:41 PM UTC
Magnificent Entoni, well worth the wait. Congratulations on completing this long term project, and a model to be proud of!
Cheers,
Lance
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 05:45 PM UTC
Hi everybody,

I am very pleased with your nice comments, and I am very glad that you like it! It was an epic tale, and now it's ended. I was giving up on this model several times, but it would be a real pity not to have it completed. It is now a corner stone of my newly acquired build policy: I'd like to finish all of my on-going builds, and in future start with building just one model at a time. It will be somehow hard for me to adapt to this new approach, but I will surely give it a try. I still need to finish my Yak-1 project, which could be another interesting project resolved.

The Albie, on the other side, was particularly intriguing for me; I delved into a world of early aviation subjects, which was previously completely alien to me. It was an opportunity to learn and acquire new modelling techniques, and I now feel more able to build a WWI subject, and I will surely embark in a new adventure with early aviation subjects. This would have been impossible without the help of truly fantastic people around the Aeroscale Early Aviation Forum - thanks everyone!

However, a more observant eye will notice that some of the details are still missing, but I will keep adding it until I have my small diorama finished. I will inform you about that as well. Now, I have to focus on other builds, but I will make a feature out of this one... it's already started (Staff can see the unpolished version in the admin menu), but I still have to take better photos of the finished model under natural light.

All the best,
Entoni
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 10:38 AM UTC
Excellent work Entoni! I love the rigging and the cammo. I'm hoping to achieve the same effect on my little Phonix. I wouldn't worry too much about the weathering. I imagine that these old birds got pretty grimy operating from rough airstrips. It looks about right to my eyes.
Just a quick question, what was the purpose of the wing mounted flare pistol? To signal wingmates?
Stephen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 01:22 PM UTC
I like it! I am glad that you beat this build into submission! All that you put into this build just proves you are a steely eye modeler!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 08:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work Entoni! I love the rigging and the cammo. I'm hoping to achieve the same effect on my little Phonix. I wouldn't worry too much about the weathering. I imagine that these old birds got pretty grimy operating from rough airstrips. It looks about right to my eyes.
Just a quick question, what was the purpose of the wing mounted flare pistol? To signal wingmates?
Stephen

I read that the Dapag flare gun was utilized by some pilots as a weapon of choice against baloon, and this is descriped in my upcoming feature...

I'm glad you like it

@JackFlash: so this one is ok for submission? I need to post images in the gallery then? "steely-eyed", oh my, should I take as a compliment?

All the best,
Entoni
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .JackFlash: so this one is ok for submission? I need to post images in the gallery then? "steely-eyed", oh my, should I take as a compliment?
All the best,
Entoni"

Yes! Yes! and Yes!
 _GOTOTOP