_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
bunch of dumb questions
CodyThecatt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 04:15 PM UTC
I don't have a clue where to post this since there isn't a general topic section anywhere ... that I could find.

So here goes questions from the dumb American:

1. How do I attach a photo as my avatar? Went to the settings page clicked the proper button and clicked the link ... got shuffled off to some huge collection of other folks avatars/pics on the main 'kit maker network' where I was informed that I should upload my pic to that area. No further instructions ... no links ... nothing ... NADA. Eh??? Guess I'm just a dumb-dumb.

2. Is there anyway to know in the main page (ie: an icon change, etc) when there is a new/unread post in a topic? (besides using the "latest post" button?)

3. Why are the build logs buried willy-nilly in the different sections? Which, of course, takes me naturally on to the next question:

4. Is there an advanced search feature anywhere?

5. I've spent some time in England, Ireland, multiple "Colonies", and even time in the wilds of Scotland with it's rustic Highland barbarians: So I'm pretty sure that even in the UK 'inflammatory' is not spelled "inflamitory". Or maybe the OED is fibbing again? (but I've been wrong before! lol)

6. I'm probably going to have a bunch more questions ... where should I really post them?

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 05:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

1. How do I attach a photo as my avatar? Went to the settings page clicked the proper button and clicked the link ... got shuffled off to some huge collection of other folks avatars/pics on the main 'kit maker network' where I was informed that I should upload my pic to that area. No further instructions ... no links ... nothing ... NADA.

When you get to that confusing page, look up top for a link that says "upload photo". If you don't see it, that means that the software logged you out when you changed pages (it does that when the planets aren't properly alligned) so you'll need to log in at that page. Then it takes you to the photo uploading page where you select your photo from your directory and upload it to the Kitmaker site. Once that's finished you should have an option to select it to use as your avatar. (It's been so long since I did mine that I forget the exact steps)

Quoted Text

2. Is there anyway to know in the main page (ie: an icon change, etc) when there is a new/unread post in a topic? (besides using the "latest post" button?)

Look beside each thread in the forum for a little folder icon. Threads you haven't read that session should show up as red. Once you've read it that will change to yellow

Quoted Text

3. Why are the build logs buried willy-nilly in the different sections?

Mostly it's because the subject matter belongs in those particular sub-forums. It's something we inherited from Armorama when Aeroscale split off lo, these many years ago.

Quoted Text

Which, of course, takes me naturally on to the next question:
4. Is there an advanced search feature anywhere?

Sadly there isn't. The search function works quite well by keyword, but you may need to try several keywords before you get the results you're after

Quoted Text

6. I'm probably going to have a bunch more questions ... where should I really post them?

You can put them here, or in General Aircraft, or in a forum which closely approximates the time period your question relates to, or even in the site-wide forums down below the separator bar. Network Talk and User Support are popular destinations.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 06:46 PM UTC
Actually Jessie you need to click the 'My Photos' link first then the 'Upload Photos' link.

Enjoy!!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 07:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually Jessie you need to click the 'My Photos' link first then the 'Upload Photos' link.

Enjoy!!

Unless you're modifying the pictures in your profile, in which case you follow the instructions:
Settings
Modify Profile
Custom Avatar (or Personal Photo)
Upload Photo
Which gets you to the confusing photo upload page where you click "upload Photo"...
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 04:08 AM UTC
Avatars have to be resized to 75X75 MAX.
 _GOTOTOP