_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
GWH MiG-29 Fulcrum C Build
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi there

GWH's new version of their superb MiG-29 arrived this afternoon.

Normally, I'd do an in-box review and then find pressure of fresh fresh reviews means I just don't get a chance to build it - bu this time the kit is just too good to let that happen! So... throwing caution to the wind, I've decided to get stuck straight in and build the beast!

But before that, a couple of first impressions. The packaging / presentation is simply superb - and also evidence that GWH really do take on board some of the feedback about their previous releases.

So - as before, the incredibly moulded one-piece missiles arrive in a protective plastic pack:

But, this time, GWH have gone the extra mile to ensure that the upper fuselage/wings moulding doesn't get distorted in transit by providing it with its own box:

and packing it with foam:

while the canopy gets extra protection in the form of some plastic film over the main section to prevent scuffs:

And the build? Well, there's not a lot to show yet, but I've begun roughing out the cockpit:

The detail on the side consoles and main panel is excellent, and the seat is starting to come together nicely. There's an awkward seam on the top of the headrest that I'll tackle tomorrow - a little tricky, because it'll be easy to lose the details on it if you're not careful.

Much more to follow.

All the best

Rowan
J8kob_F
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
AeroScale: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 09:22 AM UTC
Looks great! Now i want one as well keep telling myself that i don't need anymore but maybee...

Nice to see that manufactures protects the plastic well, there is few things as annoying as broken plastic when you open the lid

Jakob
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 09:44 AM UTC
I really want one,either this one or their earlier release,but it is a bit high for me at around $70.00 I have been waiting in vain for dragonusaonline sale but to no avail,I may break down soon as it looks like a beautiful kit
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Nice cookie! Well, it would be totally against my newly acquired I-don't-need-more-kits philosophy to order the kit, but I will satisfy for the moment with your exquisite build... Nevertheless, although I like the idea that my purchased goods are well protected in transport, I doubt the environmentalists would agree with the ever increasing junk (i.e. "protective emballage"), but who knows maybe there's a potential for new business here - an environmentally friendly hobby just a teaser campaign!

I will closely monitor your build out of pure envy!

All the best,
Entoni
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi Entoni

I agree with you in principle but, in this instance, the problems with the first release show it's not just packaging for packaging's sake. It may be a "belt and braces" approach, but I'm impressed by the way GWH have taken extra care to ensure the parts reach the purchaser in good condition.

Anyway, I'll try to get a bit more work done on the kit today.

All the best

Rowan
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 07:08 PM UTC
Rowan I'm filled with envy, I'm still trying to find a European stockist of the '9-12', anyway I'll follow your build and just long for one.
entlim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 05:41 AM UTC
Impressive
pilote14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pas-de-Calais, France
KitMaker: 459 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 05:51 AM UTC
ouah ! great model ! i want one but all my dealers have no stock !
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi again

I'm still getting to grips with this beauty! It's just a knock-out!

The level of detail is such that I think I'll have to pre-paint parts to a greater degree than I normally would. In my haste to get started last night I cemented the left-hand side console in place - which I now reckon was a mistake, because it'll make painting it much harder (luckily the right-hand one is only clipped on):

Even the nose-wheel well has such fine detail, the only way to do it justice will be to fully paint and weather the individual parts before joining them:

I foresee some serious painting sessions looming before I get much further...

All the best

Rowan
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 09:46 PM UTC
Looks marvellous, but what is the price tag?
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I donīt care, I want one!!

Those 1-piece rockets, are they without any flash? That is the reason why I ordered a set of Eduard Brassin Sidewinders just 5 minutes ago.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I donīt care, I want one!!

Those 1-piece rockets, are they without any flash? That is the reason why I ordered a set of Eduard Brassin Sidewinders just 5 minutes ago.

Hi Drabslab and Sebastian

I don't know the price for this one yet, but Lucky Model are quoting around 50 Euros (including shipping) for the first release. Buying it nearer to home is another matter, because as Luciano has stated, people have been trying to find it in stock in Europe since it came out at Christmas. Hannants still list the "9-12" as a future release...

The missiles are quite amazing mouldings. This is a shot from the Review of the original version:

Also, see Earnie Gee's video on the first kit. In my opinion, the missiles and some other mouldings in the kit actually rival resin castings.

All the best

Rowan
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 - 10:05 AM UTC
My "9-12" cost me around USD70 bucks. But you realy shouldn't need any AM stuff. JT
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 - 08:15 PM UTC
Hi Rowan,

many many thanks for this close-up shot!

This quality is very impressive. I think it is great to see that there is still enough space to improve plastic modelling kits and bring in new innovative techniques.

50 EUR for such a kit is ok in my opinion. I always try to relate the kitīs price to the fun time I have with it. Then the hour cost is pleasantly low compared to other hobbies.

Keep on building!

Regards,

Sebastian
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi again

I can't report much progress because I've spent most of the day doing paperwork for my job. However, I've managed to spray the basic colours on the cockpit and wheel well parts, so I hope to get on with some detail painting next week.

All the best

Rowan
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ouah ! great model ! i want one but all my dealers have no stock !

I have some good news, while at a show today I spoke to Hannants and was informed that they will be getting the Mig-29 next week, just don't know which version
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 06:16 PM UTC
Hi Rowan,

This is a build I will follow with great interest. Not because of the subject (though the kit looks superb) but for other reasons...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 07:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rowan,

This is a build I will follow with great interest. Not because of the subject (though the kit looks superb) but for other reasons...

Jean-Luc

Cheers Jean-Luc

I think I'll be stalled this week due to the sheer amount of paperwork I've got to do for my job. I was looking forward to making some real progress tomorrow when I have a day off - instead, it looks like I'll be doing business plans and performance reviews.

I'll try to take a break every so often to look in and hopefully also get a bit done on the MiG ("all work and no play", as they say ), but Aeroscale will have to take a back seat for the immediate future.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hi all

Just a quick update to explain my lack of progress.

Sadly, my elderly mother had a nasty fall at home at the end of last week and broke her hip. She had surgery at the weekend and is thankfully starting to show signs of recovery, but as I'm sure you can imagine, it's all rather kicked any thoughts of modelling into the long grass for the time being.

Hopefully I'll know soon what kind of period of convalescence she's likely to need , and I'll be able to focus a bit better.

All the best

Rowan
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 07:09 AM UTC
Merlin: For always, family comes first. I pray your Mom heals quickly and is as good as new. All the best, JT
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 07:36 AM UTC
Rowan,

I hope your mum gets better soon! Our prayers are with you and your family... MiG can surely wait.

All the best,
Entoni
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 141 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi Rowan.
Give my best regards and wishes for a speedy recovery to your Mum. My mum is a serial wrist breaker having shattered each of hers last year. I'm just grateful that she hasn't managed a hip yet. Parents eh!?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 06:48 PM UTC
Cheers guys

I'll pass on your best wishes when I got to visit her this afternoon.

All the best

Rowan
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 07:36 PM UTC
Hi, everybody!
First, all my best to your mother, Rowan! I hope she'll recover quickly.

Last year, when the 9-12 came into being many(or most) of the European stockists, complained to GWH that the retail price at about 70€ would be too high so they straight out would not order the kit.
GWH did not want to compromise their idea of quality and stuck to their product concept. In turn the Eurpean importers did not order the kit. Asian and American importers were convinced about the quality concept and ordered strongly. Only when reviews turned tits over ass to praise the kit, the European importers reacted: Too little, too late. The first run was sold out quicker than you could say "I want one!".
It seems there should be a better supply base on the 9-13. However, I can only recommend everyone with a serious intend to buy to not only check stock, but contact your retailer of choice and directly ask them for your particular kit in demand. Direct market feedback is about the only thing to convince them to buy those high quality kits.

I hope all of you can get a 9-13 this time around. Those wanting a 9-12 rest assured that there will be new production runs and decal variations. ... but don't hold your breath: It may take a bit of waiting.

Cheers,
Guido
 _GOTOTOP