_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Another proposal; 1/144 scale aircraft
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 06:44 AM UTC
Hey Guys and Gals, I have a proposal for another campaign. Why did I choose this? It's simple, most of people have at least 1 of these kits in they're stash, they're quick and fun OOB builds as rest from more serious scales. This includes both military planes and airliners!

Is anyone interested?

Kind regards,Sven.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 07:17 AM UTC
We just finished the Small is Beautiful campaign last summer. It may be a trifle early for Small is Beautiful II, but let's see what people say
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hi, Sven. Count me in, again. But Jessica might be right. Hope not. The last campaign was fun, and looking at the 1/144th thread started by Bruce, we might get some more "players" involved. And besides, if we do get a campaign started, it won't be for some time. So get out the magnifing lens! Happy Gluing, JT
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 07:40 AM UTC
Thats [almost] all I build, and I have alot on my list, so I will certainly have something to build if another 144 campaign runs.

For example, I recently acquired a bunch of these Fujimi UH-1s

if the campaign were to be "144 and beyond" , I might work on something in 1/350 - 1/360 scale, like this Concordski

which will need considerable upgrades.

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 07:48 AM UTC
Well, since I am right now sitting on the train from Mosonmagyarovar to Vienna with three 144-kits in the bag after todays excursion to the Moson show I must say: I'm in!

Regards Magnus
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 07:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, since I am right now sitting on the train from Mosonmagyarovar to Vienna with three 144-kits in the bag after todays excursion to the Moson show I must say: I'm in!

Regards Magnus

Oh, I can't tell envy you. I was supposed to go but I got sick
:( . How was the eduard stand and did you take any pictures?

I have no problem waiting for other campaigns to finish since I have couple of these 1/144 kits to do, also everything beyond 1/144 should be fine too.

Kind regards,Sven.
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 08:29 AM UTC
Hi, Jonathan. Just wondering about the Fujimi helos- are they reasonable good kits. Been thinking about doing a 1/144th helo sometime in the future. All the best, JT
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 08:45 AM UTC
Sven! Eduard was there, occupying two rooms. One with kits, the other with etch and tools. I picked up both the 144-scale Spitfires and the MiG-21bis together with a 48-scale spit with all the trimmings for a friend. Many really great models in the exhibition, lots of people, lots of fun. No photography for me but my friend Martin from imodeler is going through his photos right and will probably post them later tonight.

Magnus
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sven! Eduard was there, occupying two rooms. One with kits, the other with etch and tools. I picked up both the 144-scale Spitfires and the MiG-21bis together with a 48-scale spit with all the trimmings for a friend. Many really great models in the exhibition, lots of people, lots of fun. No photography for me but my friend Martin from imodeler is going through his photos right and will probably post them later tonight.

Magnus

Oh, Cool!

I have the Mig-21Bis and Spitfire Mk.IXe kits, the only disappointment was that the spitfire only has one clipped and one normal wing, so you cant build two clipped ones .

Kind regards, Sven.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Jonathan. Just wondering about the Fujimi helos- are they reasonable good kits. Been thinking about doing a 1/144th helo sometime in the future. All the best, JT

Hi JT, well, it looks just ok on the sprue.

and the decal is not very impressive.
I believe the tooling has been around for many years. I see raised panel lines. The cockpit windows are solid, there is no glass in the kit. the aft cabin windows are open, but there are no interior details.
But if you want 1/144 Huey, this is it. Also being Japanese, it's a bit expensive for what you get. I paid $45 for three.

A much more sophisticated kit is the Revell Chinook.

I have a few of those to build as well, and they can be had off ebay for small money.
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 09:26 AM UTC
Thanks, Jonathan. The Chinook just might do me. There's a 1/1 model a few miles from here. Hmmm... All the best, JT
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 03:12 PM UTC
count me in!
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 10:50 PM UTC
Folks,
There is no doubt I would be up for a 1/144th campaign. Definitely getting back into building again so it sounds great to me.
Take care.................Bruce
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 11:44 PM UTC
Ok, so far we got;

1. Sharjacek
2. Jessie_C ??
3. jturner
4. jclapp
5. magnusf
6. tinbanger
7. Frigate

So we are missing 3 more before submitting campaign.

Anyone has ideas about dates, or is that something that campaign administrators decide on?

Kind regards, Sven.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 12:45 AM UTC
there are quite a few campaigns on this year already. I wouldnt dream of second guessing the admins, but if you sort the active campaigns by start date it appears that the next place in the queue is October 1.
edit to add: there are one or two other proposals ahead of this one in line, so I'd guess november or december at the earliest.
vdejarnette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
AeroScale: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 02:39 AM UTC
Sounds good to me, except the one in my stash aren't so small... hopefully the time limit isn't too short.

Maybe I will take a poll to determine which one people would prefer to see?

North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 08:21 AM UTC
I have one unbuilt Minicraft 1/144 USPS 727-200 for this Campaign. Any one out there with advice on assembling this kit? Decals or clear plastic for the windows; not very many because its a freighter.

usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 08:42 AM UTC
Never seen that particular kit before. Maybe Jessica can help- she of all things airlinerish. JT
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 09:16 AM UTC
If you want an accurate 727, look elsewhere but if you just want a 727-shaped lump to put your decals on it's okay. There are severe shape problems with the wings, tail and engines, and the main landing gear are pretty much fictional. The Airfix kit from the 1970s has much better shapes.

As far as building the kit goes, it's quite nice. There are no fit problems and the plastic is easy to work with. It'll be your choice whether to leave the cockpit windows clear or not. In this scale I like decals but that's just a personal preference.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds good to me, except the one in my stash aren't so small... hopefully the time limit isn't too short.

Maybe I will take a poll to determine which one people would prefer to see?

difficult to choose...both very interesting subjects, Ive been tempted by both those kits, so eiither way i will be glad to see your project.

well, we have months to work all this out.
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want an accurate 727, look elsewhere but if you just want a 727-shaped lump to put your decals on it's okay. There are severe shape problems with the wings, tail and engines, and the main landing gear are pretty much fictional. The Airfix kit from the 1970s has much better shapes.

As far as building the kit goes, it's quite nice. There are no fit problems and the plastic is easy to work with. It'll be your choice whether to leave the cockpit windows clear or not. In this scale I like decals but that's just a personal preference.

Thank you Jessie. I'll be building this one gears up as a ceiling hanger for my model train layout. Looking at the kit, I believe that painting in sub assemblies may be the way to go.
Maybe the Airfix one later, or something else with Alaska Airlines decals. I'll be satisfied with a "kinda looks like a 727" this time. Anyhow, it will be a fun build for the small amount ($5) I spent on it.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 09:41 AM UTC
Tell us what you really think Jessica, about the 72 kit. Russell

P.S. I tend to agree with you on this one, Airfix has a superior kit of this aircraft
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll be satisfied with a "kinda looks like a 727" this time. Anyhow, it will be a fun build for the small amount ($5) I spent on it.

As long as you approach it with that attitude you can't go wrong, and you'll even enjoy building it
I recommend that you leave the tailplanes off until after you've painted the blue and applied the decals.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:22 AM UTC
Just my opinion: there's always room for another small scale build campaign. Just because 1/144 is fun.

As a matter of fact, I was working on this little Revell Tiger for the Big Cats II Campaign today.

Its going a long way to break the modelers block I've been suffering the last while.
Even though its tiny, it seems simple enough to work with. I'm even looking forward to applying the 3-color aggressor pattern.
pbhawkin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 170 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:37 AM UTC
i'm in
 _GOTOTOP