_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
Forum FAQS
Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 05:26 AM UTC
The forum help section is very good. I am jealous. Well done.

Winter
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 05:46 AM UTC
Forum FAQ's are for idiots. Congratulations if you need it to explore these forums.
Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Forum FAQ's are for idiots. Congratulations if you need it to explore these forums.

Lol.....you have no idea Michal. You must be blessed with a large head. I run forums that are labor intensive because the help section sucks.

The idiot comment might have been a touch over the top though.

I'm taking it you are having a bad day?

Feel better soon Brah!

Winter
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 07:16 AM UTC
Hi John

Let me apologise on behalf of Aeroscale. I've no idea why Michal responded in such a manner.

We definitely used to have an obvious link to a FAQs page for the forum, and it's my bad that I hadn't even noticed it no longer seems to be there. I remember when I first visited our aircraft section in the original Armorama, I certainly consulted it - but perhaps I was just an idiot.

After a bit of digging with Staff_JIm's help, here's the old link (note: some stuff may be a bit out of date):

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=faq

All the best

Rowan
Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 - 08:36 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan.

It's cool. Some of us have bad days.....Heck.......we all do.

Michal doesn't realize how valuable user feedback is to a site. Especially new users. That is the goal after all....create and maintain a site that satisfies the old guard and entices the new people.

I sound like I'm spamming threads to an old soldier like Michal. I'm not....I'm feeling my way along.....getting to know your ways. Providing noob insight from a noob that has had years of forum exp. just not here.

I never got the helpful noob perspective. I thought it might help.

Salute......Winter
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 06:21 PM UTC
John, Thanks for asking the question so I did't have to.

I was wondering about a rank issue and went looking for the info. Thanks to you I found the answer, apparently just like in real life, it's easier to become a Rear Admiral than a Master Chief Petty Officer.........
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi John

Let me apologise on behalf of Aeroscale. I've no idea why Michal responded in such a manner.

We definitely used to have an obvious link to a FAQs page for the forum, and it's my bad that I hadn't even noticed it no longer seems to be there. I remember when I first visited our aircraft section in the original Armorama, I certainly consulted it - but perhaps I was just an idiot.

After a bit of digging with Staff_JIm's help, here's the old link (note: some stuff may be a bit out of date):

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=faq

All the best

Rowan

Just to prove that I am idiot as well: maybe a button could be foreseen next to the "latest post" button pointing to these FAQ?

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 01:01 AM UTC

There are places that will let us in, to have an ale and become friends again.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are places that will let us in, to have an ale and become friends again.

Could be a perfect title for a new forum, i definitively would be a member
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 07:41 AM UTC
Well, we already have a place for that Modeling Cafe

Jack puts on a good spread from time to time and the movie nights are great. Drop on by, the door's usually open. If not, the key's under the potted plant, or the sleeping Aussie.
Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jack puts on a good spread from time to time and the movie nights are great. Drop on by, the door's usually open. If not, the key's under the potted plant, or the sleeping Aussie.

How fun. I have been spending time at another site. Got too mean for me. I'll check it out. Thanks everyone for making me feel more at home.

Working on my A7-E. I need to share more pics. My photos suck. Kinda embarrassing. Lol

Winter
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 01:54 PM UTC
There's a pretty good photography forum in the network section of the site. You could pick up all sorts of hints and tips there.
Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 02:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There's a pretty good photography forum in the network section of the site. You could pick up all sorts of hints and tips there.

Thanks Jessie

My biggest obstacle is relearning the hobby after ten years and learning macro photography all at the same time. It's not easy. I'm loving the modeling although the photo etched parts are hard.......to say the least. Keep losing them in the rug.....lol.

The pics?.......yikes. They look decent when taken and look fuzzy when uploaded. I'm working on it.

Moving across the lake this week. Everything is packed. I promise to try harder with my sharing.

Trumpeter model is a mixed bag. Wonderful fit of parts but the accuracy is below average. Details soon.

Winter
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Jessie

My biggest obstacle is relearning the hobby after ten years and learning macro photography all at the same time. It's not easy. I'm loving the modeling although the photo etched parts are hard.......to say the least. Keep losing them in the rug.....lol.

The pics?.......yikes. They look decent when taken and look fuzzy when uploaded. I'm working on it.

Moving across the lake this week. Everything is packed. I promise to try harder with my sharing.

Trumpeter model is a mixed bag. Wonderful fit of parts but the accuracy is below average. Details soon.

Winter

Been there, done that

Don't put the threshold too high, better make a good model without the fancy aftermarket stuff and photo etch than getting frustrated failing one thing after another.

On models I tend to buy "the best only". I can't see why I would spend time on a kit that the manufacture could not be bothered making a nice product of.

I usually scan kitmaker for reviews, build logs or forum input before buying a model; I means that in most cases i buy kits without big shortcomings, or at least i know what to expect when opening the box.

Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Jessie

Winter

Been there, done that

Don't put the threshold too high, better make a good model without the fancy aftermarket stuff and photo etch than getting frustrated failing one thing after another.

On models I tend to buy "the best only". I can't see why I would spend time on a kit that the manufacture could not be bothered making a nice product of.

I usually scan kitmaker for reviews, build logs or forum input before buying a model; I means that in most cases i buy kits without big shortcomings, or at least i know what to expect when opening the box.

I'm starting to get that Drab. Still........I think I might be addicted. I DID give away the resin cockpit and replace it with Eduards cockpit interior kit. The resin kit was way over my head.

I'm getting a magnifying hood and putting down a plastic mat under my office chair. That will help I think.

I better get out of this thread. I'm way off topic. Thx Guys.

Winter
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Got too mean for me. I'll check it out. Thanks everyone for making me feel more...

This is a good point I've never seen mentioned. This forum is very well policed. Superbly so in fact. Michal's puzzling remark earlier notwithstanding...

It's very rare to find a forum about anything that has such a good general temperament. The tone of the community is kept in line and that's one of the things that makes me so faithful to this site.

Now if I may veer completely off topic.

Drabslab made an interesting point about only getting the best kits. I have to envy him there. I generally go for the kit with the least parts. So long as it meets a certain threshold. Not that the one with the least parts isn't sometimes the best as well. I find less pieces lead to fewer errors and less fit issues. I guess I'm more of a painter than a builder but I find a good finish can forgive a simple kit better than a complex kit can forgive poor joints and sanded away detail.

Though this perspective may change though as I gain the skills drabslab et al have honed.

Stay tuned for an Arii ki43 in the rising sun campaign to see if my mantras worth anything!
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This forum is very well policed. Superbly so in fact. Michal's puzzling remark earlier notwithstanding...

Everybody can have a bad day

Quoted Text

It's very rare to find a forum about anything that has such a good general temperament. The tone of the community is kept in line and that's one of the things that makes me so faithful to this site.

The general tone of this site is indeed very good. I think it is not "the policing" which is strong but the fact that there are many well-behaving people around here who ensure - by posting in an acceptabel way themselvs - that those with less diplomatic insights (like me) keep a fair balance as well.

I've been on strongly policed sites where comments that did not qualify (according to the moderator) were swiftly removed only leadign to anger and even more hostilities.

But of course, this site has the advantage of excellent staff and the effect of friendly staff members contributing to most threads with useful comments may not be underestimated.

Quoted Text

Drabslab made an interesting point about only getting the best kits. I have to envy him there. I generally go for the kit with the least parts. So long as it meets a certain threshold. Not that the one with the least parts isn't sometimes the best as well. I find less pieces lead to fewer errors and less fit issues. I guess I'm more of a painter than a builder but I find a good finish can forgive a simple kit better than a complex kit can forgive poor joints and sanded away detail.

Though this perspective may change though as I gain the skills drabslab et al have honed.

Stay tuned for an Arii ki43 in the rising sun campaign to see if my mantras worth anything!

If we all make what we like to make, then we all feel fine, and that's the best road to a happy site

keep em coming ;-)
Removed by original poster on 07/31/13 - 18:36:48 (GMT).
Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Got too mean for me. I'll check it out. Thanks everyone for making me feel more...

This is a good point I've never seen mentioned. This forum is very well policed. Superbly so in fact. Michal's puzzling remark earlier notwithstanding...

It's very rare to find a forum about anything that has such a good general temperament. The tone of the community is kept in line and that's one of the things that makes me so faithful to this

Drab was saying to not go for the priciest stuff.....to do my research and get good values. He was saying not to throw money at it. I get it. He is wiser than me. He is right.

The site I mentioned was created for banned modelers from other sites. It's where the crazy and the sad end up. I love their spirit but after 500 posts I still wasn't fitting in. Too many modelers that weren't modeling anymore. Yet they still kept talking. A few National level modelers too. Those few were awesome.

I'll miss those few......lol

Winter
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Jessie

Winter

Have you tried using a dustbuster with a nylon stocking on the end of it? It picks up P/E bits, and if that doesn't work, a extendable parts magnet from Auto Zone ($2.99) works as well.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you tried using a dustbuster with a nylon stocking on the end of it? It picks up P/E bits, and if that doesn't work, a extendable parts magnet from Auto Zone ($2.99) works as well.

Now that's a good trick, I remember that one, thanks for sharing
Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Jessie

Winter

Genuis! Thank you. I assumed the PE parts were aluminum. Easier to work with at the factory. Trumpeter uses brass PE parts. Magnet won't work but I'm not using them anyways. The Eduard cockpit set is 3 sheets of parts.....It will displace the entire Trumpeter set except the fuselage stiffeners. The Eduard avionics set even has the APU blades. No Lox converter though. Still........I got six months of work ahead of me. I'm going to build an A4 from the same squadron to compete in the "Then and Now" contest.

Winter

P.S. Drab.........Your English skills are excellent. Better than most Americans. Kudos.

WL
wychdoctor92394
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
AeroScale: 136 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Now that's a good trick, I remember that one, thanks for sharing

No problem; glad to assist.
 _GOTOTOP