_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Drabslab's Stash War
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 07:49 PM UTC
The stash, that evil monster that ever continues to grow, deviating the attention away from the latest, greatest, and newest kit on the block by referring to a heap of models that sit idle in the attic waitign to be built, has struck again!

Admittedly, I helped it a lot by stupidly entering a renown hobby store but am nevertheless surprised that I now have an additional Skyray and T-33 to build, while I pre-ordered (ouch) a Revell CH-53 that is to be released in a few weeks/months time.

This can't go on like this anymore, I now formerly declare war to "The Stash". Step aside folks, this is going to get ... an awfull lot of fun
J8kob_F
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
AeroScale: 92 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 10:28 PM UTC

Good idea. Maybee we should make this a Campaign as i'm shore that others including me would need to do this as well. Good luck and hope that the outcome of the "war" will be in your favour.

Jakob
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
Looking back at the most difficult built, and probably the largest display of clumsyness ever made by any modeller anytime, anywhere, I am still slightly proud that I won my first battle against "the stash".

The finished the Tamiya Mustang, Hoorah!

Ok, I got some support from the Aeroscale "anything goes" campaign" that actually forced me to be ready by 31/07/2013 but still, its done, finally.

Up to the next battle
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 03:23 PM UTC
Good for you, I've given up trying to keep up with the new releases. There are so many old ones I haven't purchased yet.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 04:31 PM UTC
Hello.
My name is Warren and I am a plastaholic...
I have been building models for over 40 years and in that time have also aquired a fair few extras.
The stash has matured over the years and I have sold many kits as my tastes changed, but have then bought them back later when my taste changed again..
Oh dear..
I now have over 500 models in the stash (tiny compared to a friends 4000) but having past the half century of years I confidently predict that in the end the stash will win, especially now that I am building ships and there is no such thing as a weekend quicky ship, submarine definitely, but not ship in 1/350.
Good luck in your stash-war Draby, I have lost already ... but that is OK as I love to fondle unmade kits..
Cheers
Warren
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 10:58 PM UTC
Good luck in your stash-war Draby, I have lost already ... but that is OK as I love to fondle unmade kits..
Cheers
Warren
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 11:43 PM UTC
Its getting bad around here too. Best of luck to all in their stash battles. Just reached the 200 kit level and am wondering just when it becomes clinical? With a build rate of less than 5 per year I'm already in trouble.

Cheers,
Fred
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 03:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the encouragement folks

I hope to reduce the stack to 2-3 kits which seems a reasonable "at home" stock; for the rest I will rely on the huge shelve space of my LHS, and those of internet companies.

But at my building rate, it will take me probably 2-3 year to reach that level.

Unless of course when getting weak in view of a marvellous kit just begging to be taken home
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 08:37 AM UTC
I have unleashed my secret weapon against my stash, meager though my stash is compared to the hundreds (or even thousands, gasp!) that some have accumulated.

Having 2 young sons old enough to build, and a toddler to clean up the scraps, I am confident that my stash will steadily shrink.

I am happy to hire out this weapon for a modest fee, feel free to box up your stash and send it on down under !

Cheers, D
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 10:37 AM UTC
Its a good plan, Damien. (but be warned)

Gave about 2 dozen kits to my brother to build with my nephew. I thought that would be good all around.

... and it was except...

I noticed I had space on my shelves for more kits. That was a few months ago. That space is now largely full (again)

Cheers,
Fred
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 07:30 PM UTC
For me personally the "stash War" starts when i get home with the latest release from "Tamigawa-RevellAirfix",only to find it`s a re-box with a new decal sheet !!
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC
The stash, that deceitful enemy, lost another fight.

Down here is a Tamiya 1/48 scale F-84G, finished today after having spent more than a year in a forgottten corner of the Drab factory.

Being Tamiya, it should be no surprise that it assembled without any pain. Only difficulty was the canopy, with its many small birdcage windows painted in white, while most of the rest of the plane is in Aluminium.

I used Alclad on a Tamiya gloss black undercoat. Before and after decalling I applied a layer of future. This plane was my first attemtp at using alclad.

The F-84 Thunderjet flew for the first time in 1946 and came too late for World War II. That may be a good thing because the design was full of "issues" and it took years and many different versions before the G-model in 1951 became the first production mature version. Development continued leading to more models with swept wings.

The plane served in Korea, mainly as a ground attack plane. it could not match the Russion MIGs in aerial combat.

It was the first plane flown by the notorious Thunderbirds, and the first jet used for testing aerial refeuling.

All what's left to say is that most likely, in the days of the F-84G, "low visibility" was of little concern.
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 02:59 PM UTC

..very nice indeed!
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 02:26 PM UTC
Good job Drabslab I love alclad! luckily for me my stash consist of about 13 kits right now considering the blackbird im building is almost up to a year in production I should be good for awhile. Although The rest aren't quite as large so they shouldn't take near as long I hope Doesn't help that I've become a detail craving animal either
golfermd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 02:33 AM UTC
Looks like I'm a rank amateur in this crowd. I've only got 3 in the pipeline after completing my Tamiya 1/48 Mustang! Of course I have several HO rolling stock cars to complete, an HO layout to do, 4 HO early diesels to paint and get DCC and sound installed, and when I have some free time I am working on a wood Armed Virginia Sloop.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 05:57 AM UTC
Drabslab,

Continue to fight the good fight!

Your NMF is excellent. Do you use paint or foil?
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Drabslab,

Continue to fight the good fight!

Your NMF is excellent. Do you use paint or foil?

it's two shades of alclad. I am very pleased with the results.

I painted a Tamiya gloss black undercoat.

My second alclad finish turned out very different with lots of problems (mustang)
mparham02
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good idea. Maybee we should make this a Campaign as i'm shore that others including me would need to do this as well. Good luck and hope that the outcome of the "war" will be in your favour.

Jakob

Just my two cents. But, how about a stash campaign. Any kit, any scale and through all the different forums on the network. The only rules for it are that all kits have to come from your stash, a photo of the great stash monster, and you have six months to complete the kit. We all bought these kits with the hopes of building them let make a campaign to win one from the great stash monster!!!!!

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jakob

Just my two cents. But, how about a stash campaign. Any kit, any scale and through all the different forums on the network. The only rules for it are that all kits have to come from your stash, a photo of the great stash monster, and you have six months to complete the kit. We all bought these kits with the hopes of building them let make a campaign to win one from the great stash monster!!!!!

I am IN!!

Let's join forces and kill the beast ������
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 07:16 AM UTC
I like this. I need all the help I can get right now. At this moment, my stash has declared victory and laughs at me daily.

It is three weeks til my wedding and somehow I distracted myself by going on(another) buying binge this Summer.

Must build more, buy less.

Cheers,
Fred
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 07:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not a bad idea, I need to work down the stash. One recent campaign suggestion caused me to go out and but two More kits just to have one for the build. OTOH, I only finsih about half the campaigns I enter (except for Hanger Queen
cliffnetherlands
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 83 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 10:41 PM UTC
I seem to be one of the lucky ones. Although after re-entering modelling, my stash definitely won the first battle..It now seems to loose its momentum. Just like with chocolates i seem to just get filled up.

What also helped was discovering time and time again, that my stash-side made me by a type..Just for my research side to discover a much cooler version...and it is NEVER the one i already have in my stash

So by now i seriously slowed down buying kits. Now to only find some extra free time to build..And the war is won.

Cool thread...and nice builds by the way

(later edit..i sooo need to get my english back to schoolday levels..Or to learn to reread before posting)
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So by now i seriously slowed down buying kits. Now to only find some extra free time to build..And the war is won.

Oh dear, you don't know th true power of the dark side, do you?
cliffnetherlands
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 83 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 12:44 AM UTC
you didnt meet my girlfriend yet did you...
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 04:57 AM UTC
The stash, that miserable monster is getting a lot of support lately from one of its most trusted allies: RENOVATION WORKS!

I don't get any modelling done lately.
 _GOTOTOP