_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Rescue Me Campaign
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 09:42 PM UTC
Welcome to the Rescue Me campaign!

Please post your progress and campaign fellowship here

If you haven't already joined, you can Enlist Here

Please post the photos of you completed build in the Official Campaign Gallery
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 01:52 PM UTC
Is the 1/87 scale SAR CH53 by ROCO in the orange and black color scheme accurate?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 02:30 AM UTC
If you mean this one

then yes it is allowed...

hopefully i'll be finally getting to the bench for the first time in 4 months and starting something my self.
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 03:08 PM UTC
Allen,
Yes, that's the one, Is it German Navy? I saw a OD green HEER CH53 with a day glow patch on the cockpit and day glow wheel bulges made by Revell. I have the ROCO kit though and I like that big orange bird. I haven't found any links to a prototype though.
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 07:43 AM UTC
I'm posting my timestamp & first picture, but I won't be starting the kit for at least a month, as we are half way between selling this house and buying another - good luck everyone!

tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 01:23 PM UTC
Hi
This is my entry for this campaign a Canadian S-51.

IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
AeroScale: 130 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hello I have a Matchbox kit pk-48 1/72 scale MBB BK.117 with ADAC Markings would this be ok for this build

Thanks

Sascha(Ironowl)
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 01:54 AM UTC
I'll be doing the Revell (nee Matchbox) Noorduyn Norseman in Saskatchewan Air Ambulance markings.

Revell Noorduyn Norseman 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

vdejarnette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
AeroScale: 138 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 03:38 AM UTC
Are experimental rescue vehicles allowed? I recently found a McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane that I want to build if it is allowed. It was designed to potentially fill a rescue/recon role but the project was scrapped for not being a big enough advance on existing tech. I would consider doing it in a Vietnam "what-if" role with scratch-built stretchers in place of the rear seats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_XV-1

If not, I've got a Grumman Widgeon of the US Coast Guard waiting in reserve.

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are experimental rescue vehicles allowed? I recently found a McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane that I want to build if it is allowed. It was designed to potentially fill a rescue/recon role but the project was scrapped for not being a big enough advance on existing tech. I would consider doing it in a Vietnam "what-if" role with scratch-built stretchers in place of the rear seats.

If not, I've got a Grumman Widgeon of the US Coast Guard waiting in reserve.

The Widgeon certainly fits in with this campaign and I would like to see some aircraft in this campaign but the Helo has peaked my interest so I will allow it. I assume with the 'Nam what if you would be doing it Green with a red cross on a white back ground like the Huey's?

As for me Sam has donated her ASR Lancaster with Lifeboat to me to do as she still isn't quite in the right frame of mind to get back to the bench just yet. I figured this would be easier for me to knock out quickly rather than either of the Helo's I was planning on doing with all the scratch building and etch I was going to incorporate.

Hopefully I'll get started on this in the next weekend or two.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
AeroScale: 1,072 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 08:18 AM UTC
I am starting a build of an RAF rescue Wessex from the Italeri kit in 1/72nd scale, here it is so far, I am going to do the all yellow version.
vdejarnette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
AeroScale: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC
Alan,

Yes you've got the idea! After giving the Glencoe kit a once over last night and doing some dry-fitting, I may be doing the Gosling after all depending on what else is still on the bench when I start. Both will require a lot of extra sanding and filling, but the Convertiplane is significantly larger. It also seems like we have a lot of people doing helos already.

Doug, that Wessex is coming along nicely.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 05:21 AM UTC
Van - The Gosling/Widgeon is a nice little kit but is show its age and does need a little TLC. I recently built one for the Airfix Campaign but went a little further and re-scribed the panel lines that were lost when the raised ones were sanded away. In hindsight I wish I looked at the drawings for the decalling as I ended up scribing a lot of 'rivet lines' as well. Here's a pic of the completed kit for inspiration.

Doug - Great work on the Wessex so far... I just wish I could get to the bench long enough to start building.
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
AeroScale: 130 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 03:41 PM UTC

Here's my selection for this build

Sascha(Ironowl)
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 - 08:28 PM UTC
Here's what Ive let myself in for
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 11:05 AM UTC
Hi Jonathan,

I've got that very same kit, with some aftermarket maple leaves
Did you get only one bulged search window as well?
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jonathan,

I've got that very same kit, with some aftermarket maple leaves
Did you get only one bulged search window as well?

Hi Jessie, welcome back.

I havent done a careful parts inventory, I guess I better do that. I'm also planning some different markings for this.
ianclasper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 227 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 03:46 PM UTC

This is my entry. Although I would prefer to stick with 1/48th scale I'll go with this 1/35th H-13 to do a Korean War "MASH" chopper as the 1/48th offering from Italeri is the Gun Ship and lacks the stretchers that come with the bigger Revell kit. I did consider several other suitable planes for my Korean War theme, however a Sea Otter would be a major kit-bash from a walrus, (too much for a 6 month project) and the new Trumpeter HU-16A Albatross would fit perfectly, however the price !

I am keen to see how the Belcher Bits S-51 builds as I would love to build one as they were used off the USN carriers in the Korean War (last night was the first time I had heard of that kit)

Ian
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As for me Sam has donated her ASR Lancaster with Lifeboat to me to do as she still isn't quite in the right frame of mind to get back to the bench just yet. I figured this would be easier for me to knock out quickly rather than either of the Helo's I was planning on doing with all the scratch building and etch I was going to incorporate.

Hopefully I'll get started on this in the next weekend or two.

Wow, very generous, that boxing was about a bazillion pounds if I remember right!

Gorgeous box art too, I'd have that up on the wall
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, very generous, that boxing was about a bazillion pounds if I remember right!

Gorgeous box art too, I'd have that up on the wall

Sam got it cheap, thanks to being related to the manager of the local hobby shop They ordered it in for her and got a second one for the shelf as well and that is still sat there to my knowledge. I think the box art may just end up on the wall

OK Question time... the box art doesn't show any guns on the turrets but the instructions do. I've done a quick Google search and can't seem to find a definitive picture of a RAF ASR Lancaster to show which style would be correct. Does anyone know otherwise? My gut tells me to not have the guns but I can't decide how I would fill the slots in
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 10:54 AM UTC
Guns were ditched in favour of range. They would have been about as useful as t**s on a bull for a lone Lanc all alone at sea anyway. I feel like wax canvas or something was used to delete gun slots by the British but I can't remember where I'm getting that info...
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
AeroScale: 1,072 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 03:24 PM UTC
progress on the Wessex

RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 07:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK Question time... the box art doesn't show any guns on the turrets but the instructions do. I've done a quick Google search and can't seem to find a definitive picture of a RAF ASR Lancaster to show which style would be correct. Does anyone know otherwise? My gut tells me to not have the guns but I can't decide how I would fill the slots in

I've had a quick check of my references and I've got half a dozen pics and profiles WITHOUT guns, but I did find one of SW368 in the far east which had guns fitted.
I believe on RAF aircraft the slots were not filled in, so the guns could be re-fitted if required, but in the RCAF the slots were filled in.
janwillem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well I had the kit and decals in the stash and this was the motivator I needed to get it out. Plus a nice break for doing armoured models.

It is the Revell Eurocopter EC 145 Medstar/ Police with Fireball models decals to make it into the UH-72A of the Air Ambulance Detachment.

I assembled the main interior parts and the exterior parts.

Hoping to get all the interior part done soon so I can start on painting those.

Cheers,

JW
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 09:24 AM UTC
S-51 parts washed and assembly about to start!

_GOTOTOP