_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
32 scale Tamiya Mustang - noseart
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 12:47 AM UTC
Mark, Outstanding decal effort. Run into the same issues with the Tamiya decals, for that matter Hasegawa decals are just as thick. Just kept on using application after application of Micro Sol. Helped, but never completely solved the issue. Never heard nor saw the effects of using Tamiya Acrylic Thinner and a sharpened toothpick. Definitely, will be trying it.

Really looking forward to seeing pictures of your finished 'Stang.
Joel
markchis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 467 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi Joel - a big thanks for following this. Yeah the x-20 thinner can really help of course the rule here is that the whole model has been protected with kleer, aquagloss or similar acrylic varnish.

Ok its about Weathering ! To me this is very important, I want the aircraft to look as if it has been used and close to the references of the real world combat aircraft.

I use a sort of 3 step process on weathering aircraft. The starting point I use is a oil based wash -

I mix up a solution of the raw umber with some turps.

I apply it following the panel lines - but dont bother with the capillary type application - I just sort of brush it on generally

leave it to dry 10 - 15 mins then I use a cloth to get rid of the excess, it creates nearly a filter effect on the overall paintwork, but not so heavy.

this can be done more than once.

I will then in some cases make a darker concentrated version of the wash and capillary the panel lines.

things are toned down -

next stage soon...

best
Mark
 _GOTOTOP