_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Now Enlisting: Grumman Campaign
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 06:10 AM UTC
Earlier this week I submitted a proposal for a new campaign: Grumman Aircraft. Any aircraft that has been designed and or built by Grumman's. Other aircraft that have been modified by Grumman's, but not designed & built by them doesn't qualify for this proposed campaign.

This campaign will also require that a separate build blog be started & completed in the appropriate forum to qualify for a ribbon. The idea of a separate blog is to make it easier for everyone to follow and comment on the various builds without having to search for the last post in the campaign thread.

The suggested start date is 1/1/14, so everyone interested will have amble time to finish current projects.

I understand that you need 10 interested people to have the proposal accepted. Anyone interested in this campaign, please just post, and I'll maintain a running list.

Here's my idea of the campaign ribbon:

Joel
vdejarnette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
AeroScale: 138 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 07:10 AM UTC
Got a bunch of different Cats to do, so I am in for this one... though I doubt the time specifics of the campaign will hold up since I believe they try to keep it to one new campaign per month.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 07:18 AM UTC
Doing the products of the Ironworks is a worthy project indeed! I'd be up for that.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 07:29 AM UTC
Van, the time frame is open as long as it's after the 1st of the year. And welcome aboard.

Jessica. Would love to have you along for the ride. Besides, being as this hopefully will be my 1st of many campaigns, I can use all the help I can get. What do you think of my idea for a campaign ribbon?

Interested enlistees:
Joel
Van
Jessica_C
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you think of my idea for a campaign ribbon

Remember that it has to be understandable at 50 X 20 pixels so you should keep it bold and simple. Perhaps a field of Navy Blue with the Grumman logo in white?
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What do you think of my idea for a campaign ribbon

Remember that it has to be understandable at 50 X 20 pixels so you should keep it bold and simple. Perhaps a field of Navy Blue with the Grumman logo in white?

How's this for a start? It's 50x20 TFF file. Yet it looks a little to big? Now to work on the color change.

Joel
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 10:21 AM UTC
JA
I'm in for the Iron Works Gang Build. Not sure which way to go for the build but right now looking at 1/32 F-14 Tomcat, 1/32 A6A or E Intruder or a 1/32 F6F-3 Hellcat. Plenty of time to decide.
Bro
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

JA
I'm in for the Iron Works Gang Build. Not sure which way to go for the build but right now looking at 1/32 F-14 Tomcat, 1/32 A6A or E Intruder or a 1/32 F6F-3 Hellcat. Plenty of time to decide.
Bro

Pete, new you would jump on anything Grumman related. Go for the gold: the A6E Intruder. Just how much display space is that beast going to need? It makes your P-51D seem small.
Joel

Interested enlistees:
Joel
Van
Jessica_C
Peter
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How's this for a start? It's 50x20 TFF file. Yet it looks a little to big? Now to work on the color change.

Perhaps make it a trifle smaller and give it a thin Navy Blue border?
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 - 11:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Perhaps make it a trifle smaller and give it a thin Navy Blue border?

Thank Jessica. My brother is going to post the correct logo & colors: blue & gold. I'll take it from there. Of course I'm jumping the gun as I haven't even heard yet if my proposal has been accepted.
Joel
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hi Joel

I'll probably be in with a F-14 Tomcat (naturally for anyone that knows me)

We run campaigns slightly differently here on Aeroscale so the start date will be decided by the campaign admins and we need 10 people interested here in the proposal before it is approved.

The rules may be tweaked slightly as I don't think its fair saying a separate blog needs to be done to qualify for a ribbon as some members don't have sufficient time to do a blog. I would encourage blogging in the rules instead though.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC
I like big radials, and Grumman has a few of those. I'll be in.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 03:55 AM UTC
Ben, glad you've decided to come join once the campaign is official (I hope). The Iron Works Gang have a very long history of using those big radial engines, so you'll have plenty of options.
Joel
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 04:07 AM UTC
Yep... it's a nice idea I´m whit you...

Diego
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 04:21 AM UTC
I have an F4F Wildcat, an appropriate choice from my neck of the woods especially if the campaign is around the March Madness time frame.
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 04:29 AM UTC
Allen
I'm a bit puzzled by your reply regarding some members don't have time to do a blog. Is a blog a build thread of the aircraft you are building?
Peter
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC
I can't see how I can avoid this one. Count me in!

Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 04:38 AM UTC
Hi Allen,
You're the 1st Jet jocky. Looking forward to your build. I'm leaning towards a 1/48 scale F6F-3 Hellcat, as I've been stuck in the prop age all my modeling life.

Whatever start date the admins decide on, is fine with me. Just hoping that it's past the 1st of the year, so that everyone interested has time to get organized, and ready to build as close to the start date as possible.
That's another goal of this campaign. To get max involvement by having the majority of members be building at the same time. I also opted for a 5 month max time frame for the same reason.

I have to disagree with your assumption that some members don't, or wont' have enough time to post in a separate build blog, but have the time to post in the general thread their progress, and hopefully comment on other builds. To my way of thinking, it takes about the same amount of time.

I looked at the idea of separate build logs for several reasons:
A) over the 5 month campaign period, the main thread will become unorganized, and a very difficult place to follow any build or builds. Making commenting that much harder. With individual build blogs, that becomes a non-issue. It
also leaves the general campaign thread open to just banter, information that's pertainent the the general
campaign membership, and keeps the thread from literally becoming a book.
B: A indivdual Build Blog posted in ther appropriate era forum should create more involement from the campaign members, which is another one of my goals. It also creates more views, and hopefully more comments from the rest of the general Aeroscale population when they visit the era forums that interest them.

A Build Blog can be nothing more then a few start photographs, and a few sentences on the aircraft, and the
builders goals. A min amount of posts should be built & ready for paint, painted, decaled, weathered, and
finished. Each post only needs a few sentences. This would also help new members, as well as members who generally
don't post their work or on other models to become more comfortable with doing so. It's part of the fun of being a active member of Aeroscale.

So if the decision to have, or not to have individual blogs is mine, then I will require them, as well as posting
two finished pictures in the campaign gallery, which is Standard Operating Procedures.

There is a thread in the General Aviation forum that was started last year concerning the overall lack of posting within build Threads. Several members even stated that they stopped posting build blogs for those very reasons. I posted my thoughts, and then decided to do something constructive about that issue. I thought that pushing the campaign envelope would be a excellent way to do that.

Joel

Interested enlistees:
Joel
Van
Jessica_C
Peter
Allen
Ben

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 04:58 AM UTC
Diego, Brent, and Michael, looking forward to you joining us.
Joel

Interested enlistees:
Joel
Van
Jessica_C
Peter
Allen
Ben
Diego
Brent
Michael

Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 05:54 AM UTC
JA
I absolutely agree about the requirement of a build blog or thread. For starters when I first joined Aeroscale, I posted on the discussion thread my views and thoughts regarding the low level of comments on build threads and what I thought needed to be done.
The entire idea of a forum is both discussion and interaction between members. Why belong to a model forum and not participate? Just lurking and looking is not participation; it virtually becomes nothing more then reading a digital magazine. We post our work for others to see, enjoy and hopefully learn from. The viewers comments and suggestions are how others see our work and offer suggestions of ways of improvement. Even the "nice work" post is a warm welcome and a reason to keep the thread going.It means others are actually taking the time to look at our work and offer their opinions. Without feedback and interaction, it's pointless to do a build thread, unless the object is to provide some form of entertainment.
So for these reasons and more, I am in full support of participants posting progress updates of their builds: nothing fancy and doesn't have to be detailed; just updates with photos of course of how the build is progressing. You would be surprised how contagious this becomes.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 06:22 AM UTC
Pete, well said.
Joel
Joel_W