_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
1/72 apache by an armor fan, help!
bronzey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 300 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hey guys,

Ok so im a big armor fan and a proud dad. So after redoing my oldest sons room in a army theme, camo netting, camo painted walls, the works, I thought that to have a few air units hanging would be amazing touch, so my son got his hands on a apache kit as we regularly see these beasts fly over our house and I wanted to know is there any advice I need to know when it comes to air units? I have been modelling for about 2 years now but never done a helo, so I thought I would ask those who would know if there is any noob pitfalls or common errors people make, all input welcome!

Bronzey
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 05:27 AM UTC
Your biggest hurdle will be getting the weathering right. As I read it long ago, tanks get filthy while airplanes merely get dirty. Take care with your pin washes and drybrushing to not go too far. Here's a good basic build to follow.
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 09:32 AM UTC
Helis tend to get a bit more dirty than modern jet fighers, so weathering-wise you can aim for a "factory fresh" AFV-look and be just about right.

One thing to be aware is that you will find it much easier to paint the fuselage and rotor separatly!
AngryEchoSix
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 12:47 PM UTC
It also depends on what theater of operations you plan on depicting the Apache in. Forested areas, i.e. The Fulda Gap in Germany; it wouldn't get nearly as dirty as it would as in say, Afghanistan or Iraq. In those two latter enviroments, it would have a lot of dust accumilation along the panel lines, especially those near the engine nacelles and tail rotor shaft acces panels along the tail boom.
bronzey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 300 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 - 12:53 PM UTC
Thank you for all your advice guys, made a start on it today, shock to the modelling system doing a Revell kit after so many hobby boss/trumpter, this one seemed to have a second lots worth of flash to work on lol

Bronzey
 _GOTOTOP