_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Thayer & Chandler Air Star V low pressure
melkavitch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi,

I finally got around to checking out the Badger 150 air brush I bought at a flea market and my Thayer & Chandler Air Star V. The compressor turns on fine, but the gauge only goes to about 15, maybe 20 lbs of pressure. Then when I use the air brush, the pressure drops to 10 lbs. I have tried to adjust the pressure all the way up, but no difference. I know the air brush is probably no good, but I would think I would get a good reading from the compressor to start. I have made sure the water trap is closed so no air escapes there. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 05:35 AM UTC
Check if the air inlet of the compressor is not half clogged up with dirt of some kind. That would reduce the amount of air that the compressor can move drastically, leading to pressure drops as soon as the airbrush demands some air.

Further, if the compressor can't handle any volume anymore, a lot can be solved by adding a small barrel in between compressor and airbrush than then can act as pressurised 'stock ' of air.

However, be very careful what barrel, or canister, you are using, it has to remain safe.

vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 01:13 PM UTC
The other thing that could be happening is that a gasket/seal needs replaced. I would check for anything restricting the passageways first as Drabslab suggested. Always start with the most simple solutions first and work your way up from there as needed.
melkavitch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
An update. Finally got around to putting bubble stuff on the joints. The connector for the hose, on the compressor, blew some really nice bug bubbles. I took it off, wrapped teflon tape on and now I get 50 lbs of pressure easy! The airbrush should be at Badger for refurbishing and I should be set!
Thanks all.
Mike
golfermd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The other thing that could be happening is that a gasket/seal needs replaced. I would check for anything restricting the passageways first as Drabslab suggested. Always start with the most simple solutions first and work your way up from there as needed.

Was thinking the same thing. Beat me to it! One other thing to ask, is there pressure regulator?
 _GOTOTOP