Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Now Enlisting - Schwalbe Me262 Campaign
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 02:48 AM UTC
Sascha, thanks for joining in, I'm looking forward to watching your Revell build progress.

Magnus, I was looking at the High Planes prototype kits a while back at the LHS and hoping that at least one of them might pop up in this Campaign, but the Hasegawa kit sounds good as well. Decisions, decisions . . . . . . .

Chris, go with whatever you want fella, I won't be TOO sad if the thirty-tooth build doesn't happen 😪

Up to 33 enlisted now, I'm glad this topic has generated such interest.

Cheers, D
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 05:12 AM UTC
LOL well gee thanks D .... gods how do I narrow down the choice????
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 10:50 AM UTC
Bump time, 5 weeks to go folks.
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

5 weeks!?! 5 WEEKS! It's taking forever!

Dang it, where's a TARDIS when you need one?...
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

5 weeks!?! 5 WEEKS! It's taking forever!

Dang it, where's a TARDIS when you need one?...

All lined up at a boneyard on Gallifrey. At least they were, or maybe they will be, hold on, now I'm confused!

⏳⌛️
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:34 PM UTC
Just a teaser...

I dug into the stash today and right at the back of it I found these two little fellas lurking...

It's been some time since I last tackled one of my High Planes kits, if I do two now I can leave them alone for a further few years !

Magnus
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 04:18 AM UTC
Great looking kits Magnus! I look forward to seeing them completed, although I wonder if you're not a glutton for punishment??? LOL
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 04:47 AM UTC
Magnus, I agree with Chris that is a unique kit. If you could would you let us know your opinions of this kit?

Bob
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:48 PM UTC
Chris and Bob! One of my favourite English expressions really, "glutton for punishment" ! Let's say like this: if there is a Hasegawa kit of the same subject, I wouldn't bother with the High Planes kit! Especially not nowadays, in the late 1990's I was strangely attracted to this range of kits and I have a quite substantial number of them in my stash.

For a general feel of what the kits are like I have two build blogs here, a Winjeel that is finished and a Mirage that still needs to be finished. For a careful modeller those kits are perfectly buildable but for many people (especially considering the amount of really high quality stuff that has been released during the last two decades) they are probably not worth the trouble! I think they are quite fun though !

Magnus
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:20 PM UTC
Magnus, best of luck with those Aussie gems my friend, I'm looking forward to watching them come together!

Three weeks to go folks, I really should make a decision soon as to which kit I will drag out if the stash for thus Campaign.

Cheers, D
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 02:57 AM UTC
I have the Hobby Boss Me 262A-1b to build, but it will most likely end up being as some kind of captured/what-if type of thing if that's allowed. HB really scored with their stormbirds, I don't think there is a 262 sub-variant you can't build now.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Hobby Boss Me 262A-1b to build, but it will most likely end up being as some kind of captured/what-if type of thing if that's allowed. HB really scored with their stormbirds, I don't think there is a 262 sub-variant you can't build now.

Rule #3 on the Campaign page:
Alternate or "What if" schemes welcome.

Let your imagination run wild, I'm looking forward to seeing what you cook up for us!

Sitting on 35 enlisted, can't wait for this one to get started.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 05:18 PM UTC
Last Bump before we get cracking on this one folks. 36 enlisted at this point, and some very interesting build proposals have been put forward in this thread so far.

Time to raid the stash and decide which one I will build!

Cheers, D
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 01:11 AM UTC
Call me lucky #37, I just stumbled in. Got on a late war German a/c kick finishing stuff for Hangar Queen and ordered an unstarted 1/72 Hasegawa 262 from a seller on Facebook. Ought to be here just in time to start.
Not planning on going buck wild, but I do have some aftermarket decals I picked up cheap for another late war jet project.

Looking at that U4 variant, is there a 1/72 kit other than the CMK resin conversion? I really like the look of that gun nose.

Mike
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking at that U4 variant, is there a 1/72 kit other than the CMK resin conversion? I really like the look of that gun nose.

Mike

Mike! When MPM started in the early 1990s they did a whole series of different exotic 262 variants. One of them was this one: MPM U4 kit at Scalemates

I don't remember what was in the box but I am ALMOST sure it was "someone else's" base kit and that "someone else" was NOT Hasegawa. If I was to do one I would base it on a Hasegawa kit (can be found cheap) and either a dedicated conversion kit or an MPM kit that I would raid for the U4-specific parts needed.

I think I've got a rather simplistic conversion set somewhere in the plastic dungeons, if you want to do it (and I can find it...) it's your's for free!

I've done a Hasegawa 20+ years ago and I still like it!

Magnus
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mike

Mike! When MPM started in the early 1990s they did a whole series of different exotic 262 variants. One of them was this one: MPM U4 kit at Scalemates

I don't remember what was in the box but I am ALMOST sure it was "someone else's" base kit and that "someone else" was NOT Hasegawa. If I was to do one I would base it on a Hasegawa kit (can be found cheap) and either a dedicated conversion kit or an MPM kit that I would raid for the U4-specific parts needed.

I think I've got a rather simplistic conversion set somewhere in the plastic dungeons, if you want to do it (and I can find it...) it's your's for free!

I've done a Hasegawa 20+ years ago and I still like it!

Magnus

Magnus,
I'd love to take it off your hands if postage does not kill your building budget. I know the US post office has raised international rates through the roof lately.

The MPM kit is not in stock at Squadron or Sprue Brothers and even US ebay is coming up blank.

Sprue Brothers has the CMK conversion for about $15 plus shipping, I've not had great luck with CMK stuff, but most of my experience with them has been in 1/35th scale.

Mike
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 03:18 AM UTC
Mike! Pm me your address and cross your fingers that I can find that set (I'm almost sure I can).

Magnus
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 03:51 AM UTC
This is what I love about the Kitmaker community!
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 01:49 PM UTC
Mike after seeing your discussion with Magnus I'll throw my hat in the ring, I've got the HighFlight conversion set in 1/72 if Magnus can't find his set I'll send it along. It's a resin nose, white metal gun barrel and etched brass gear doors for the front wheel well.
TonyDS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hello,

I just signed up for this campaign.

I found this box hidden away at the back of my stash.

Out came all this stuff,

I bought it like this several years ago, its the Trumpy 1/32 Me 262 a1a.

As i am not the greatest fan of resin and PE, i dont know how much of the AM i am gonna use. For sure the wheels and guns will work, but the rest.....well, we will see.

Also included when i bought this box where these 2 nice books,

And a decal sheet,

I look forward to start on it.

Bye
Tony
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 02:41 PM UTC
Found it! Putting it in the post this weekend!

Not the most refined stuff I have ever seen but it will probably do the trick. A metal BK5-barrel would have been a treat but you can't get everything...

Magnus
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 03:48 PM UTC
Well done Magnus! The white metal barrel in the HighFlight set is okay but not as well detailed as the brass ones assuming they make one in 1/72 I've seen plenty in 1/48 and they're stunning.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 06:16 PM UTC
Tony, welcome aboard and many thanks for joining us. I look forward to watching your build progress on the large scale bird !

Magnus, Chris, your generosity is heartening and very much appreciated.

I have dragged my selected kit out of the dusty depths of my garage. I see quite a few Dragon and Tamiya kits proposed, so I have decided to go with this one . . . .

It is now Feb 28 in the Great Southern Land, so I will get the official Campaign thread and Gallery sorted via the higher powers.

Cheers, D
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 06:55 PM UTC
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the kind offers. I sent the PM last night Magnus.
This is quite a community of folks. I will certainly pay it forward.
Now I am just hoping my build is worthy...

Mike
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 11:46 AM UTC
Mike if you enjoy yourself and have fun building the kit that's all that really matters isn't it? We're here to help and to support?.... enable?.... the addiction LOL. As well as foster the growth of all our abilities. I personally have learned a lot from the collective skill set of the modellers here and want to help pass it all along.