_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Using acrylic paints
vicmeister
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 04:45 AM UTC
I just started using acrylic paints, specifically brushing onto smaller parts. Question - is it necessary to use primer first? I seem to need 5-6 coats, especially with colors such as yellow, red and green. Thanks
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC
Primer,although optional, does help certain colors to cover and adhere better
officer_crabtree
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hi Vic,

Primer is only optional,

Seeing as you're brushing You won't need it,

The coverage issue might be down to the brand you're using, so what brand are you using?

Another factor is, it might just be a bad batch,

Be sure to really shake and stir a few times before you start as well,

If you find that doesn't work just ask again,
James.
vicmeister
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 05:17 AM UTC
Thanks James and Anthony
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 06:51 AM UTC
Yellow and red are two of the most difficult paints for me to brush paint as well. I too have to apply mutli-coatings when brushing.

My favourite acrylic paints are from Games Workshop, but even their red and yellow are difficult. I think you should give GW acrylics a try, they even sell primer in a spray can. I use Modelmaster and Tamiya acrylics too.

Primers help the finish coats stick to the plastic. Oftentimes I have used acrylics directly on plastic, but if I handle it very much it wears off. I use Vallejo acrylic-polymer Surface Primer and I find it works very well.

I have to admit that I use an airbrush for most of my painting except for smaller parts, but I do enjoy brush painting.

Cheers.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just started using acrylic paints, specifically brushing onto smaller parts. Question - is it necessary to use primer first? I seem to need 5-6 coats, especially with colors such as yellow, red and green. Thanks

Try using a white undercoat for those colours. The white helps greatly in bringing out the vivid colour without requiring many multiple coats.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC
Primer has two main functions: providing a even and consistent surface to paint by covering up various shades of putty and or multi colored plastics, and giving the color coats a surface that the paint will stick to by being matt in nature, rather then the smoothness of plastic, which tends to let paint slide around till it finally grabs the plastic.

For hand painting anything but the smallest of parts, I would certainly recommend priming. I use Tamiya Gray Lacquer primer, either applied by air brush or a rattle can.

Tamiya Acrylics are notorious for brush strokes and pulling up the proceeding coat if it's not completely dry. Yet, I use Tamiya Acrylics for small hand painting all the time. I thin it so it flows with Lacquer Thinner, not IPA or X20-A. Then brush slowly once or twice at most in one direction. The paint will dry rather quickly. Then add coats as needed.

As Jessica alluded to, use White primer over gray primer is you want bright reds, yellows, greens, or whites. Personally, for scale effect, I rather tone down the intensity of bright colors, and just use a gray primer coat.

Joel
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 05:49 AM UTC
For tiny buttons and similar "dots", it also helps to let the acrylic dry a bit on your mixing palette befor you apply it. (typically buttons or handles in a cockpit for instance.)

For any larger surface a white primer, as matt as possible, is a great help, but 3-4 layers can still be needed. But don't rush it, better to take your time and get a good finish.

But I also suggest you make sure to paint the bright colors first, and the duller, better covering paints afterwards, so you can use these to "frame" the areas. (I.e. when painting the yellow nose of a Bf109 or the bright tail of a late war US bomber.)
 _GOTOTOP