_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
My first model - Jaguar GR1
Toad-In-The-Hole
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 02:45 AM UTC
My first model, completed today! I messed up with a few bits, notably with smearing a paint fingerprint on the cockpit and a bit of a gap on the nose (that I disguised by painting over it until it got filled with paint)

The set was a Tariyama 1:72 of a Jaguar GR1. I'm pleased with how it turned out, not bad for a first go I think.

http://postimg.org/image/aj3hq6roj/

http://postimg.org/image/hcy7svzed/

http://postimg.org/image/s12ilws51/
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 03:23 AM UTC
You did good for your first model Jack ! I have been building for 35 years now and I still get the odd finger print ever now and then

Terri
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 04:33 AM UTC
Me too. Looks a good first attempt, be careful you might get hooked
Toad-In-The-Hole
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:06 AM UTC
Thanks, glad you think I did okay with it

Quoted Text

Me too. Looks a good first attempt, be careful you might get hooked

Think I already am, nipped to the nearby model shop and bought a T-22M one to make next
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:12 AM UTC
Before you start that T-22M think about which bits you weren't 100% happy about on the Jaguar, and read up advice on doing it better, then try it, it won't always work right but each model will get a bit better and you will enjoy trying new techniques. Above all, don't be afraid to ask for advice, I don't know anyone on here who won't help you.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:21 AM UTC
Of all the many pieces of advice on the site, this one is most applicable to the model building stage you find yourself in. It's a long thread filled with all sorts of good information. You'll find yourself going back to it time and time again.

Happy modelling, and welcome to Aeroscale!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 06:43 AM UTC
Jack,
Welcome to Aeroscale, and to our hobby as well.

For a 1st build, just getting it to the finish line is a remarkable feat in itself. Now the trick is to work on what needs improvement a few items at a time. Jessica's link will really be a huge help.

Ask questions, you'll get plenty of answers. I've been seriously building models on and off since 1972, and I'm still learning new techniques.

Joel
Toad-In-The-Hole
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 04:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Before you start that T-22M think about which bits you weren't 100% happy about on the Jaguar, and read up advice on doing it better, then try it, it won't always work right but each model will get a bit better and you will enjoy trying new techniques. Above all, don't be afraid to ask for advice, I don't know anyone on here who won't help you.

Will do

Definitely need to read some tips on fitting the plastic together better so there are less gaps and definitely going to steal one of the better halves nail files. I didn't use a file for the Jaguar, the thought never even occurred to me but, after reading on here, seems like a handy tool.

Also, going to have to read more on applying decals since that's something I struggled with.

Quoted Text

Of all the many pieces of advice on the site, this one is most applicable to the model building stage you find yourself in. It's a long thread filled with all sorts of good information. You'll find yourself going back to it time and time again.

Happy modelling, and welcome to Aeroscale!

Great thread! Thanks for the link, I'll definitely have to order some Mr Surfacer or whatever the Taiwanese equivalent is.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 07:03 PM UTC
Hi Jack,
Welcome to Aeroscale and to this wonderful hobby

Not a bad first attempt and, like Andrew said, aim to get a little better with each model and remember this hobby is supposed to be fun This is definitely one forum where you can ask questions and get advice so we look forward to seeing how your get on with the T-22M
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 06:31 AM UTC
Jack,
You've got a very positive attitude, and with the desire to build a better model. It takes time, but it will happen. Your goal should to be able to build the perfect Out of the Box kit. That just means that all the building, painting, and decaling is done perfectly, not correcting or modifying kit parts.

Phase 1 is building the model so it's prepared for painting. Learning how to get the best part fit possible. Gluing, sanding, filling with putty as needed.
Removing part seams that aren't on the real aircraft should be your goal for your next few models.

Keep on posting your work, your questions, and concerns, and you'll get all the help and advice you need.

Looking forward to your next build.

Joel
Toad-In-The-Hole
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 03:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jack,
You've got a very positive attitude, and with the desire to build a better model. It takes time, but it will happen. Your goal should to be able to build the perfect Out of the Box kit. That just means that all the building, painting, and decaling is done perfectly, not correcting or modifying kit parts.

Phase 1 is building the model so it's prepared for painting. Learning how to get the best part fit possible. Gluing, sanding, filling with putty as needed.
Removing part seams that aren't on the real aircraft should be your goal for your next few models.

Keep on posting your work, your questions, and concerns, and you'll get all the help and advice you need.

Looking forward to your next build.

Joel

Thanks. I'm hoping to be able to make models as good as some of the others I've seen posted on here and facebook. Some look amazing.

The Backfire is going quite well. Used some of the tips I've read here and other sites (sanding the edges before connecting, using tape to block off areas that aren't been painted to avoid getting paint on them etc) and it's fitted together very well. No noticeable seams.

Although, made a rookie mistake with the painting. I did the painting before connecting it together (something I read online) but, when it came to putting it together, realised I'd painted the wrong side of the wings blue so had to paint over.

Ah well, still in the learning process. Lesson learnt, check, check and triple check I'm painting the right side before applying any paint

On the plus side, it's connected together very well so far (although, only connected the easier bits... wings, tail, etc. Definitely room to go wrong when it comes to the fiddly wheels).
 _GOTOTOP