_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Now Enlisting: Fighter / Bomber Campaign
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 06:00 AM UTC
I do not know how long it has been since the last fighter/bomber campaign, but I wanted to put this before everyone to see if there was enough interest to get an approval. I have allready put some material together for all to get an idea of what I had in mind.

FIGHTER BOMBER:
[quote per wikipedia]A fighter-bomber is a fighter aircraft that is modified or used primarily as a light bomber in the tactical bombing and ground attack roles. It differs from attack aircraft primarily in its origins; attack aircraft are developed for the attack role first and any fighter capability is entirely secondary, whereas fighter-bombers are designed as fighters and then adapted to other roles.[1] This term, although still used, has less significance since the introduction of rockets and guided missiles into aerial warfare. Nowadays, aircraft that carry similar duties are typically called multirole fighters or, sometimes, strike fighters. [quote per wikipedia]

Rules:
1. Must be a fighter foremost.
2. For this campaign the aircraft must have some kind of visible ordnance for use to attack ground targets.
3. Any nation as long as no. 1 and 2 are followed.

A/C for this campaign MUST have no more than 2 aircrew and are able to defend them selves after expending their ordnance and taking on any threats by reverting to the fighter role.

Bob
Beauslx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 07:13 AM UTC
Interesting.

Last night I was thinking about Strike aircraft campaign. 1960 to 1980 which I figured world have a wide range of aircraft from multiple countries.

Fighter/Bombers would work also, pre WWI on up to today.But that would eliminate some of the aircraft I was thinking of such as Intruder, Warthog, Frogfoot etc. but it would include Stike Eagle, Mosquito, MIG-29 etc.

I would assume this would not go until 2015???
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 07:29 AM UTC
Robert, if it is accepted I am sure that it will not be until 2015 for a start.

Bob
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:06 AM UTC
Count me as interested. I have a Corsair that missed the night fighters campaign. It would look good loaded up with ordinance!
-Sean H
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:20 AM UTC
Hello! Sean,

that would be a beast no matter what conflict. Well that makes 2 yes and 1 maybe.

Bob
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:32 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I guess this isn't going to happen until sometimes in 2015 if approved. Don't know where I'll be or what our club will have planned so I might as well throw my hat into the ring to help get this rolling. I signed up for the Yak build but my club did not have any contests where I could use it; so I had to bow out. Same might go for the FAA build although I've been wanting to do a Hellcat for quite some time.
I've got lots to choose from, P-47, F-15E, F4U-4, Mosquito, Fw-190-F8, etc. I'm sure y'all will inspire me for my build.
Thanks,
Don "Lakota"
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:34 AM UTC
I'm interested, don't know what yet, the only thing I can think of in the stash is a Spit V, and they could and did carry bombs. I bet there are none in the kit though
macotra4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 88 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:39 AM UTC
You can count me in, I got some P-47 which will be good fit for this campaign. or I will wait for new coming Whirlwind?... But for sure I am in.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hello! Don, Andrew, and Tom. That makes it 5 yes and 1 maybe. I had been thinking of a P-40F in desert camo, either US or French markings.

Bob
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 02:23 PM UTC
I'm curious whether the Mosquito would qualify being that it was originally designed as a bomber then converted into a fighter, then fighter-bomber. Would you consider it a bomber-fighter or a fighter-bomber?

In the same vein, the Ju 88 had a similar history.
macotra4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 88 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 02:56 PM UTC
if I can say something, both of those AC should not be allowed.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 03:03 PM UTC
Jessie, yes on the Mosquito since it was most definately used as a day and night fighter. The Ju 88 I must say no since its main role was as a bomber with the crew and defensive armament to go with such.

Bob
Beauslx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:16 PM UTC
From Wiki

A fighter-bomber is a fighter aircraft that is modified or used primarily as a light bomber in the tactical bombing and ground attack roles. It differs from attack aircraft primarily in its origins; attack aircraft are developed for the attack role first and any fighter capability is entirely secondary, whereas fighter-bombers are designed as fighters and then adapted to other roles.

So by definition the Ju 88 nor Mossy would qualify since both were built as bombers first and later used in the fighter role. Bummer because I looking at a Mossy for this if approved and that I've never built a Mossy! But if approved the campaign will be very interesting with lots of different choices.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 06:02 PM UTC
Hmmm, great opportunity to use one of the T-bolts in my stash, or even an F-84.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 06:30 PM UTC
Robert its a yes on the Mosquito since there were fighter versions the a/c was also a fighter either in the day or night role and since it did not have a large crew to defend it as a vunerable target. FIGHTER/BOMBER a/c that is able to drop its payload then have the ability to protect itself by reverting back to its intended role of either as a fighter or pursuit a/c.

Hello Mark, glad that you found the thread.

Two more and I will be able to submit this to the higher ups.

Bob
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 07:12 PM UTC
You can count me in , with Revell's 2 seat Eurofighter Typhoon -
lots of LGB's with that kit.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 07:22 PM UTC
Lee: I just took a look at a Eurofighter and WOW look at the ordnance in this photo that this a/c is toting.

Bob
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 07:29 PM UTC
Now for another borderline case, what about the Beaufighter? Night fighter and strike aircraft with rockets or torpedoes.

Disclaimer: I haven't got a Ju, but I have got a Mossie (destined to be an airliner) and a Beau.

(I still think that a case could be made based on the night fighter Ju-88 but the decision's been made. It was a bomber first.)
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 07:49 PM UTC
Jessie:

per wikipedia
Quoted Text

By fighter standards, the Beaufighter Mk.I was rather heavy and slow. It had an all-up weight of 16,000 lb (7,000 kg) and a maximum speed of only 335 mph (540 km/h) at 16,800 ft (5,000 m). Nevertheless, this was all that was available at the time, as further production of the otherwise excellent Westland Whirlwind had already been stopped due to problems with production of its Rolls-Royce Peregrine engines.

Which makes it not an airplane that in daylight that could ward off the attentions of another a/c such as a 109 or Spit in combat, albiet it was a great ground attack a/c. I cannot recall in reading or video any Beaufighter taking on another fighter with good results, so lets keep this as stated in the first post a fighter that hung some ordnance and helped the soldiers out of a jam then returned to their first duty as a fighter/pursuit and that includes the Mosquito which is documented as taking on other fighters in daylight and going home the winner.

Bob
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:55 AM UTC
After several post's containing some confusion I put my head together with Mark Doremus Md72 and he has agreed to come on board as co-leader and help with eliminating this confusion by putting together a list of non acceptable a/c which would be far more expediate than trying to list of those a/c that are.

Bob
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:12 AM UTC
Well, I guess I'm fully signed up now.

I may know enough about US aircraft to stay out of trouble, but school me gently if I miss your country's efforts...
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:32 AM UTC
Mark: thanks for stepping up and helping with this idea.

Bob
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:59 AM UTC
Checking some reference materials Mosse and JU-88 were both Fighter Bombers,if you exclude one you have to exclude the other.
A can of worms could well open up here so spend time on eligible aircraft list.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 11:26 AM UTC
Talking about tins of fish bait, how about a Camel with 4 20lb Cooper bombs, or a CR42AS, slower than a Beau but designed as a fighter. I've just been reading Steve Coonts book "Cannibal Queen", and you should see what he writes about the F-4 drivers who took their piddling 6 500lb bombs into Vietnam. Fighter Bombers are a compromise, really we are talking aircraft designed as fighters that can drop bombs, otherwise it is any aircraft with all it's armament firing forward that can both drop bombs and dogfight, (however badly it does either). Define the scope and we may not need a list.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 11:30 AM UTC
Mark has been hard at work putting together a list that will be used to determine what will and will not be considered a FIGHTER / BOMBER for this campaign and to make it easier on the masses.

Bob
 _GOTOTOP