_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Proposal: Joint Projects
MikeyBugs95
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
AeroScale: 63 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 07:27 AM UTC
So how about a campaign for all those joint project aircraft out there? This would be any scale, any country, any time as long as the aircraft in question was a project between 2 or more companies that contributed major parts to the aircraft. Ex: the Boeing/Northrop Grumman EA-18G Growler. Boeing supplied the airframe, Northrop Grumman supplied much of the avionics and radar jamming equipment. Any aircraft where the names of two or more companies are used in the title, simply. I would think this would kick off sometime in near the end of the year or the middle of next year, considering how many campaigns are already running and how many are proposed.

Another good example is the AH-64 Apache. It's a joint project between Hughes, McDonnell Douglas and Boeing.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 09:56 AM UTC
I suppose the Concorde would be a good example..?
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 10:07 AM UTC
Just about anything produced in the US after the Goldwater-Nichols act is going to be joint: The best way to ensure Congress throws money at your program is to be represented in as many states as possible.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 12:23 PM UTC
If we're dividing rabbits, the AH-64 is not a joint project between those 3 companies; the truth is that the product line got sequentially purchased, first by McDonnell-Douglas, then Boeing.

Now how would you classify the Panavia Tornado, Eurofighter, or anything Airbus?
MikeyBugs95
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 02:10 PM UTC
Jonathan: I suppose. I don't know off the top of my head.

Jessica: Alright. Thanks for that info. I had just done a quick search and saw that it was by associated with those three companies. Ok. On the topic of those 4 aircraft(s); they are all multinational projects, correct? If there is more than company involved in major development/manufacture of those aircraft then they would be included.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 12:54 AM UTC
I think that about every airplane built since 1940 qualifies for this one.

Very few aircraft manufacturers make their own engines, or missiles.

Hanging anything remotely smart under a wing automatically means bolting additional hardware to the inside of the airplane.

It would be more restrictive to build aircraft that have been manufactured by only one company.
MikeyBugs95
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 - 01:36 AM UTC
Underwing stores aren't not included in the criteria. It includes aircraft with major parts made by two or more different companies.
 _GOTOTOP