_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Decision made :(
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 06:54 PM UTC
I have made the decision to stop producing paint masks to order

This decision has not been taken lightly but I am spending around 12 hours a day on things masks related and this is too much so something has to give.

I enjoy producing masks for modellers but many who contact me really just don't get it! Consequently long rallies of email tennis ensue just trying to clarify simple details! I have found myself spending longer and longer dealing with emails which has taken up any time that I might have for a bit of modelling. I want, need, to build models so that I am able to use my own paint masks and it has become very, very frustrating!

I am not giving up producing masks, I just won't be doing them to order. I have "contracts" with a few modellers around the world and I will continue to do masks for them. So Chuck if you ever want mask you just have to shout I will complete the mask sets that I have on my books, so if you have ordered a set I will still do them; if you are unsure, then do give me a shout and I will confirm

This decision will enable me to get on with some other projects which have had to be side lined due to the custom stuff so this is not all bad news
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 03:20 AM UTC
Well, I guess that makes me one of the most envied modelers on the planet! That must have been a tough call to make, Mal- but you've got to weigh the costs vs the rewards. I look forward to your next moves!

chuk
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 05:50 AM UTC
Mal,
I quite sure that this decision was very difficult to arrive at. I honestly feel you're making the right decision.

I've known several people in other hobby related industries, such as Model Railroading, that thought the perfect job/career was to turn their hobby into their full time job. Those that succeeded quickly found out that they have almost zero time to enjoy their hobby, or just didn't want to spend all day working in the hobby field, then come home and still want to spend time working on their personal layout.

Some got burnt out and just walked away. Some continued on as just a business venture, and some did what you're doing and returned to the hobby as basically a hobbyist.

Maybe now you'll find the time and energies to finish the ME 110 Bumble Bee.

Joel
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 06:26 AM UTC
sorry to hear that, if you ever change your mind you know you'll have plenty of orders to start up again...

all the best
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hi Mal

It must have been a painful decision - but I think you've made right one.

I have to say, I think this could well be a portent of what's ahead with 3-D printing too where, as with plotter/cutters, the hardware costs get ever lower, to the point where it's the research that becomes the "product", and some type of licencing is the way to recoup the time invested.

I think there is really exciting market out there - but what form it finally takes is still unclear, and there will be a lot more losers than winners before it's clear what has become the new norm.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I guess that makes me one of the most envied modelers on the planet! That must have been a tough call to make, Mal- but you've got to weigh the costs vs the rewards. I look forward to your next moves!

chuk

Possibly Chuck but I won't remind you of what I, "foolishly" said when you did Millie for me; but I am upholding my end of the bargain There are one or three others that I am still doing masks for and I very much look forward to being able to do more for you

Quoted Text

Mal,
I quite sure that this decision was very difficult to arrive at. I honestly feel you're making the right decision.

I've known several people in other hobby related industries, such as Model Railroading, that thought the perfect job/career was to turn their hobby into their full time job. Those that succeeded quickly found out that they have almost zero time to enjoy their hobby, or just didn't want to spend all day working in the hobby field, then come home and still want to spend time working on their personal layout.

Some got burnt out and just walked away. Some continued on as just a business venture, and some did what you're doing and returned to the hobby as basically a hobbyist.

Maybe now you'll find the time and energies to finish the ME 110 Bumble Bee.

Joel

Its not quite the same for me, as I never tried to make a living at it, which is possibly part of the problem; I would bend over backwards to help someone out but be ultra frustrated when, after many emails and drawings, they decided that it wasn't worth THEIR! time anymore I recently gave someone my phone number so they could discuss masks, and then they proceeded to phone me at the most inopportune moments just to tell me that they had sent an email and then they wanted to chat!

Yep, I'm looking forward to getting the Bf110 finished now

Quoted Text

sorry to hear that, if you ever change your mind you know you'll have plenty of orders to start up again...

all the best

Roger that Paul

Quoted Text

Hi Mal

It must have been a painful decision - but I think you've made right one.

I have to say, I think this could well be a portent of what's ahead with 3-D printing too where, as with plotter/cutters, the hardware costs get ever lower, to the point where it's the research that becomes the "product", and some type of licencing is the way to recoup the time invested.

I think there is really exciting market out there - but what form it finally takes is still unclear, and there will be a lot more losers than winners before it's clear what has become the new norm.

All the best

Rowan

You are correct Rowan, I have had 5 "ex-customers" ask about plotters, drawing software and material; so I have been thinking about the market for masking files

When I finally get my web site up and running (how many years have I been saying that!) I will concentrate on "how to" because the companies out there that are selling masks seem to think that they don't need to tell their customers how to use the masks!
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 09:11 PM UTC
Sorry to hear you will no longer do custom masks Mal. I have used your masks in the past and I must say they were amazing... painting markings gives much more realistic results than decals. Besides, I hate using decal solvents.

I do understand your decision though. Sometimes it just gets too hard to find time for your own projects and it can be very frustrating. On the positive side, now you know how valuable your time is and I'm sure you will use it as best as possible for making your own models.

Enjoy the hobby,
Mario
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 09:54 PM UTC
Thanks Mario
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 05:50 PM UTC
I am getting the idea that some think that I am giving up producing masks altogether! That is not the case, I am giving up producing paint masks on commission; I will still be producing paint masks, but for the likes of Uschi van der Rosten
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 07:59 PM UTC
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hi Mal,

a decision made is a good thing! I have always problems with that

I know I was never one of your good customers but I want to thank you again that you helped me out one or another time! I love your camo masks and always use them on my Spitfires and Hurricanes.

BTW Will you still be at your own booth at Telford or do we (me and my "brother" Jean-Luc) find you at the Bulldogs desk?

take care and find some fun again!

Steffen
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,
I will be in a different place, next door to Albion Alloys, in Hall one, a couple of aisles down from the Airfix booth and next to my Kitmaker club stand Finally they have listened to me
I very much look forward to seeing you and Santa-Luc again I hope to be doing demonstrations and promoting the Typhoon masks
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 07:32 PM UTC
I will be honest Mal I am kind of hoping that this means you will be dipping your toe in the (Target Pond) as we talked about previously.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 07:49 PM UTC
Hi Darren,
Well I already have, I produced the disc pattern camo for both AK Interactive and Uschi van der Rosten. But yes there should be more, such as Soviet tank slogans, turret numbers and the like
 _GOTOTOP