_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
A-4 M SKYHAWK (VMA-331) 1/48 Hasegawa
millolucian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 09:18 PM UTC

millolucian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 09:23 PM UTC

millolucian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 09:29 PM UTC

FlorinM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 385 posts
AeroScale: 173 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 - 12:48 AM UTC
Perfect execution, perfect paint job (love that satin/glossy sheen) and perfect weathering. Well done Master Lucian!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 - 07:58 PM UTC
Lucian,
An absolutely perfect A-4M OOB build done to perfection. Your painting and decaling are simply dead on. Weathering is just simply the right touch for a well maintained operational Naval jet. Every where I looked, there is just a touch of weathering that is appropriate for that particular area.

I do have one question. The red outlines on all your gear doors are perfect. I'm still doing mine with a 5/0 brush. They come out ok, but they're no where as perfect as yours. Are you using a brush or a colored fine tip marker?
Joel
millolucian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 - 11:28 PM UTC
Joel

Painting the red outlines is easy: first do the whole door red, mask the edges, then paint it white. Red should be gloss, while the first coat of white should be flat for its strong pigment. For the second coat of white use gloss paint. Remove masking tape and you'll have perfectly defined edges. For optimal results the whole operation should be done with the airbrush. For minor touch-ups use a 0.5 mm marker.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel

Painting the red outlines is easy: first do the whole door red, mask the edges, then paint it white. Red should be gloss, while the first coat of white should be flat for its strong pigment. For the second coat of white use gloss paint. Remove masking tape and you'll have perfectly defined edges. For optimal results the whole operation should be done with the airbrush. For minor touch-ups use a 0.5 mm marker.

Lucian,
Thanks.

I've been doing my gear doors air brushed Tamiya Gray primer/flat White/ then I hand paint the red edges, which have far too many errors and spots needing touch ups. I use Pledge hand brushed on to gloss the gear doors. Will be using your method on my next USN aircraft build: Kinetic's 1/48 scale S-2A Tracker.

I've also read that several modelers have had excellent results with artist oil paint fine tip markers.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP