_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Proposal: Hot Out of the Molds Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 - 11:41 PM UTC
Well, Christmas and Chanukah are over and New Years is just ahead. All this reminded me of an ongoing campaign idea I had last year but never put out there.

We've all been there. You're tooling along on your latest project and a holiday or birthday comes around. You unwrap your gift from your significant other (or whoever) and WHAM! It's that brand new kit that you've always wanted of your favorite subject! Forget whatever you're working on, this new one is a bench-clearer. You want to start on it RIGHT NOW! How would you all feel about a campaign to cover that situation?

I'm proposing a Hot Out of the Molds campaign for just this situation. It would be a kind of standing campaign (like Hanger Queen) that would run from January to December each year. The rules would be pretty simple: the kit must be unstarted (remember, it's supposed to be a brand new kit) and must have been released no more than six months prior to you starting your build. Separate build logs would be encouraged because you're sort of a trail-blazer here. You're building the kit because you love it so much that you can't wait. Therefore you're giving others a first look at how a new kit builds up from the point of view of someone who (probably) knows the subject.

I would envision this as a cross site campaign covering all subjects but I'm proposing it here on AeroScale because this is where I have authority to fool around with ideas.

What does everyone think? I know it's less than a week before New Years but it runs all year, so you have time to join, build, and move on. Comments below!

Michael
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 12:46 AM UTC
Would re(re-re-re-re...)issues of an old mould count? I've got a brand new old AMT Hindenberg for example...
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would re(re-re-re-re...)issues of an old mould count? I've got a brand new old AMT Hindenberg for example...

Hmmm... I think so, if it's been oop for a while. Be inclusive, I say!

Michael
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 02:05 AM UTC
well, I generally build moldy, old stuff, or the same common thing over and over again...
but as it happens, Welsh models have promised a 1/144 resin kit of a DH Heron next year. the day that arrives, it will probably jump to the front of the line, and I'll be looking for a campaign for it.

ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 02:22 PM UTC
I think that this is an idea that has legs, though personally it wouldn't necessarily be a brand new, newly tooled kit that would "clear my benches". If I ever got my hands on the Matchbox 1/72 Handley Page Victor K2 (or the Revell rebox), no force in Heaven or on Earth could stop me building it - campaign or no campaign. I'm sure that we all have that one "Moby Dick" kit!
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 07:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that this is an idea that has legs, though personally it wouldn't necessarily be a brand new, newly tooled kit that would "clear my benches". If I ever got my hands on the Matchbox 1/72 Handley Page Victor K2 (or the Revell rebox), no force in Heaven or on Earth could stop me building it - campaign or no campaign. I'm sure that we all have that one "Moby Dick" kit!

Lee,

However, my idea would be to keep this to newly released kits so the builds would also serve the purpose of showing people how the new kits build up. I know just what you mean about getting a kit you've always wanted and jumping on it right away though!

Michael
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 450 posts
AeroScale: 387 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 11:19 PM UTC
Airfix have some really juicy kits coming in 2015 as well as few from the latter end of 2014. Some manufacturers seem to release other peoples moulds with new decals which give further options and I'm sure that some enterprising souls will latch onto the latest HKM or Zokei Mura 1/32 offerings and have them built in a month. Me, I'm happy to have the incentive to build a kit in pre-stash condition and the Shackleton MR2 is a very strong contender here. Count me in
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 10:36 PM UTC
OK, I'm going for it. The Official campaign thread is here. Go here to check out the rules and sign up. Should be fun!

This thread will now be locked. Happy new year and new kits!

Michael
 _GOTOTOP