_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
A quick look at the new 1/72 Airfix Do17z
RottenFuhrer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 284 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 07:37 AM UTC
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 08:44 AM UTC
Andrew,

Nice review.

I'm very impressed with that new D0 17Z! Airfix has come a long way.
RottenFuhrer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:47 AM UTC
Thanks!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:39 PM UTC
Andrew,
Thank you for a overall nicely presented video kit review. With that being said, once again I was some what disappointed with the general concept of the vast majority of in box kit reviews, that there was no mention of the two most important items to modelers:

Is the overall dimensions of the kit accurate, so that when built it does indeed look like the subject matter.

The fit of the major parts. Personally, knowing that there are or aren't fit or assembly issues is a major issue with me.

Joel

RottenFuhrer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:04 AM UTC
I totally understand and I am also grateful that you took the time to watch. I do dozens of kit reviews and over a fairly wide range of subject matter therefore it is impossible for me to build all of them and be able to relate to my audience the quality of fit. As to dimensional accuracy you also make an excellent point however, neither myself not the majority of my audience can be considered a "rivet counter" so I am not to concerned about providing that information. To my knowledge most YouTuber's that have a modeling channel and do kit reviews do not mention dimensional accuracy this includes the esteemed Gary Bottoms. I would like to ad that a new tool kit seemingly designed with CAD process should in theory be at least acceptable fit. Most of the recent building reviews of the new tool Airfix kits have been reasonable. Thank you again for watching and taking the time to reply. I hope you would consider subscribing to my channel.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 03:52 AM UTC
Andrew,
I'm by no means a rivet counter, but the over all basic dimensional accuracy that we take for granted these days, isn't always the case, as well as the overall shape. Two examples of the later issue are the GWH F-15B/D and the Hobby Boss P-61A. It would be of benefit to know if the kit actually looks like what is modeled after before one purchases and builds it, especially since both kits cost more then $60 each.

As for fit, one would think that it would be either #1 or #2 on the modelers list of importance. CAD engineering doesn't guarantee a quality fit, nor proper sequence of parts construction. How many Trumpeter kits have major design and fit issues, and they're all CAD designed.

I wasn't implying that building the kit was necessary, but taping the fuselage halves together, and or dry fitting the wings would be more important to someone like me, then seeing all the CAD generated details like panel and recessed lines, which we don't even know are accurate.

I've brought up these points in various conversations with other modelers over the years, but with the advent of video, it just seems to me to be a natural extension of a kit review.

Joel

chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the review of the kit. I am on a waiting list at my local Hobbytown USA to get one of these. They have no idea when its going to hit our shores. I like the new tool Airfix kits especially the value for the money. The Do17 is an aircraft that was not widely modeled and that appeals to me. Nice review!
RottenFuhrer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:10 AM UTC
You can order this from Hornby USA right now for $26.99.
 _GOTOTOP