_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Build log for the HobbyBoss 1/48 Bv141
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 06:59 PM UTC
Thanks Chris, so I will post some more WIP pics every now and then. I just gave the canopy another layer of RLM 66 from the outside as I have noticed that the in- and outside masks don't fit so well over eachother. Or maybe I didn't work precise enough .... Next step is a primer of white over all.
I did some research and noticed that the colour RLM 02 Green Grey is most likely wrong. The aircraft V10 (as in the kit) had its maiden flight in June 1941 and RLM 02/70 is a pre war camo. I have asked a friend and he agreed with me that the camo on the BV 141 should be RLM 70 Dark Green and RLM 71 Black Green. That's what I will do. Also on the b/w photos the upper side looks dark. So if you build another BV 141 you should also go for this camo, Chris.
I found a correct replace propeller in my spare box but I have to work on it because there are sink marks on all 3 blades. Nothing serious. And the propeller works fine with the spinner parts of the kit ...

Torsten
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 08:13 PM UTC
Torsten,
Not to high jack Chris's build blog, but your canopy green house really looks quite nice with those masks. Not that Chris's hand made masks won't work equally as well, but yours wins hands down in the neatness dept. I'm also rather impressed with the fact that they have a inside set of masks as well. With the canopy closed what advantage is there to paint the interior of the greenhouse?
Joel
Thearmorer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 118 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 11:04 PM UTC
Chris,
Excellent job on flogging this weird beast into submission so far. Up to now I've just been tagging along on the edges since I know next to nothing on this particular aircraft, but anything this ugly has got to be interesting. What has peeked my interest is Torsten's dual mask approach. While I can see the advantage when displaying a canopy in the open position, of having the interior color looking the same as the rest of the interior, I wonder if this might be something that sounds better on paper than in reality. Due to the relative scale thickness of the canopy plastic it seems like one will see the interior layer as just that, a separate layer inside the canopy. The "standard" approach of painting the interior color then the exterior color immediately on that gets around the layer problem, but when shown open looks painted on the outside. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, will be interested to see how it turns out. Great build in any event.
DR
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:55 AM UTC
I have always been wary of dual masking because of that exact reason you must be very precise in the placement of your masks. One of the reasons I tend to keep things closed up in the smaller scales.

Welcome aboard Torsten I look forward to seeing what you do with the prop! As to the colour scheme you are most probably correct but it still looks damn good in the 02/70 camo! Also you might wanna look at the exhausts I was less than sure as to which should be removed!
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 06:24 AM UTC
I have the BV 141 in the cupboard, but it might be down the list after some simpler challenges.

Is there an after market prop that is near enough in the right direction?

Maybe something meant for a Fw 190?

Or what else had a BMW 801?
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:32 AM UTC
Hi Carl True Details make a drop in replacement for this kit. Other than that late model Fw190 blades will do the trick.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 02:49 PM UTC
Things go slowly here at the moment, but here's a little update of my BV 141. RLM 71 Dark Green is done and a lot of Kip Tape is used for masking the splinter camo. I needed 2 evenings for masking this ....

.... Fresh paint, don't touch! RLM 70 Black Green is on ....

.... and this is how it looks like this morning after taking most of the masks off. I didn't took the Hobbyboss painting guide for reference but went for the one from HPM, which looks closer to the real thing for me. Demasking is always like unwrapping a christmas present. You never know what you really get ....

Have a nice Sunday!
Torsten
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 06:05 PM UTC
Torsten,
Another outstanding paint camo scheme done up to your usual high standards.

Joel
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 01:13 PM UTC
Well after many months of Languishing I've finally got the Bv141 finished. (Well as finished as she's going to be) I weathered the old bird and then unmasked the canopy which took a lot longer than you might think. Cleaned up around it and touched up a few spots of paint and et viola, here's the end result!

Okay Torsten time for you to show off yours .... LOL
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 01:40 PM UTC
Hi Chris,
Fantastic result! Your masking technique really paid off and is very eye-catching.

Gary
phumbles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 01:41 PM UTC
Hi Chris, been following from the sidelines and it has come up a treat, this is one kit I would like build. I will file your build away for reference. All the best Phil.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 04:01 PM UTC
Excellent build so far, nece detail work and paint job.
This beast can be something for me too.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 06:55 PM UTC
Chris,
Outstanding to say the least. Just a super build

It was well worth the wait.

Both paint schemes and colors are very close on my monitor. The slight difference looks more like an exposure issue.

Joel

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 12:51 PM UTC
Gary, Phil, Bernd, and Joel my thanks gentlemen for the kind words. I'll be building this bird again but correcting some of the more glaring errors ie the propeller turning the wrong way and only having a front row of cylinders! Hopefully someone will bring out a resin replacement for the exhaust stacks so we don't have to play Russian roulette with the removal of the excess ones. I actually really enjoyed this kit I've always wanted a 1/48 scale main stream kit and HobbyBoss actually made a very nice kit at a reasonable price. But as is usual with HobbyBoss they made some pretty basic errors, however those errors don't render the kit unbuildable just make it more of a challenge and isn't that what this all about? The challenge to make something look like the original? To pit your skills against the plastic provided and perhaps acquire new skills along the way?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 02:31 PM UTC
Beautiful clean build Chris, I like it a lot!

Cheers, D
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 05:19 AM UTC
Thanks Damian it's been a drawn out build but ultimately rather enjoyable.
 _GOTOTOP