_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Aviation Museum England
210cav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 09:01 PM UTC
I am going to be in London for a few days in September. I seem to recall that there was a WW II aviation museum dedicated to the American effort. If this is correct, can someone supply the name and location? Can it be visited during a stay in London or is too far away for a visit?
Many thanks
DJ
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:05 PM UTC
It's the American Air Museum, part of the Imperial War Museum's facility at Duxford, near Cambridge. It can be a day trip from London but you may wish to plan an overnight stay. Unhappily, their webpage reports

The American Air Museum (one of our eight exhibition buildings) is closed until Spring 2016 for an exciting redevelopment. From late May, you can get up close to most of the iconic US aircraft from the exhibition in new locations across the museum. More information will be available soon.

For a virtual visit, click on the Features tab and look for "A visit to IWM Duxford:" Parts 1 through 8 (and counting). Part 9 updates this weekend.
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's the American Air Museum, part of the Imperial War Museum's facility at Duxford, near Cambridge. It can be a day trip from London but you may wish to plan an overnight stay.

If memory serves me well it's about 2h's trip by train from London (Liverpool Street Station) to Cambridge and then by bus from Cambridge to Duxford (it was a great sightseeing tour). Bus stops at the museum entrance. And don't forget visiting Hendon.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:39 PM UTC
Hi DJ

There is (or was, when I was a volunteer there) a display of USAAF aircraft at RAF Hendon that's definitely worth a visit. That's at the Colindale stop on the Northern Line on the underground (subway).

All the best

Rowan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi DJ

There is (or was, when I was a volunteer there) a display of USAAF aircraft at RAF Hendon that's definitely worth a visit. That's at the Colindale stop on the Northern Line on the underground (subway).

All the best

Rowan

Not to mention that Hannants is just around the corner of the Tube stop...
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 450 posts
AeroScale: 387 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 03:55 AM UTC
If you can obtain a copy of Aeroplane Monthly for May 2015 there is a 32 page section devoted to Aircraft Museums in the UK. Close to me there is the 'Carpetbaggers' museum at Harrington which deals with the USAAF missions flown by the 801st (Provisional) Bomb Group who would drop spies and supplies in Europe. It also covers the short period when the RAF based 3 Douglas Thor missiles there. This is only open at weekends.
210cav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 04:56 AM UTC
My Friends-- please accept my deepest appreciation for your thoughtful responses to my inquiry.
I thanks you all for adding significantly to my vacation plans.
Thanks again
DJ
Removed by original poster on 04/23/15 - 14:44:05 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP