_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
FEATURE
F-86F30
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 04:41 AM UTC
Burt has finished another delightful fast for us. This time he dipped into the Korean War era to bring us what is probably the most famous fighter of the 1950s.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hi Burt.

I like your F-86 build.looks real sweet.
All it needs now is a Mig in its gunsight.

Well done.

Regards

Chris

Burt_G
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 01:55 PM UTC
Thanks for the compliment
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 10:22 PM UTC
Beautiful -86!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 03:55 AM UTC
Burt,
just an outstanding build. I really love a F-86 with a NMF. I'm really interested in trying out your clear glosscoat over the Gloss Black primer, and leaving the gray primer on the shelf.
Joel
Burt_G
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thanks everybody for your kind words
skurcz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 05:33 PM UTC
What did the gloss coat over the gloss black do? I would think it redundant. Did it make a difference in the finish? Did you thin out the future and how?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What did the gloss coat over the gloss black do? I would think it redundant. Did it make a difference in the finish? Did you thin out the future and how?

I've seen this done a few times now, and it solves the issues I've had with my Alcad finishes.

I've primed the model with Tamiya Gray primer, then polished it the best I could, but it was never really smooth as glass. I've used both Alcad Gloss Black (it's an enamel base), and Tamiya Gloss Black (Acrylic polymer base) over the primer. The issue is that the gloss is just a skim coat, and mimics the undercoat surface so that it has to be rubbed out. I've also struggled with that. The end result is that the Alcad finish isn't as smooth as it should or could be.

By eliminating the primer coat, and starting with a thinned Gloss Black, you end up with a smoother surface base coat, that is very easy to polish out just using a cotton cloth. The Pledge/Future, Alcad Clear Gloss, or even Testors Metalizer Clear seals the Gloss Black, and they're all basically self leveling. So just a rub down with a cotton cloth gives you near perfect surface to apply the Metalizer paint of your choice.

If you use Pledge, it needs to be thinned 1:1 with Windex, then a final coat thinned 1:2 or even 1:3.

At least, that's the theory, and as I've said, I've seen it done twice, and the results speak for themselves.

Joel
Burt_G
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 03:31 AM UTC
To skurcz: Sorry for the late reply. I am not quite sure what Future did for the Gloss Black. I suspect that it gave the model a smoother surface. Yes Future did change the finish. it seemed to me that the finish lacked some luster. However, the finish was more even than apply the Alclad over the Gloss black. And yes I thinned the Future with Windex.
 _GOTOTOP